North, South, Central, or West (H.C.)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airsix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got a call from a friend yesterday telling me I am going diving with him and 2 others June 15-16. Probably the worst two days of the month for tides/currents, but how do you say no to a friend like that? :D

So where should we go? If you could be teleported to any dive site in Puget Sound for a day of diving right now where would you go? Since we are driving over from Eastern WA we can just as easily go to any point between Anacortes and Tacoma. We got no boat, but a charter isn't out of the question.

Suggestions?

-Ben

Oh, man, you weren't kidding about the tides . . .

On days like that, I would go diving in the late afternoon and try to hit current-insensitive sites like Cove 2. Charter captains would know a lot more than I do about where you could go when you have that big a minus tide at midday. Maybe some more experienced divers than I am will chime in here with ideas.

You could go to Sund Rock or do a dive with Deep Sea Charters out of Anacortes and let Dave pick the site as well as pick you up.

gcbryan:
You could go to Sund Rock or...

I was just about to ask if anyone has been there lately. I haven't heard anything recently about the oxygen problem. Has there been any positive change this spring?

-Ben

Edited to add: Just read wedivebc's post in another recent thread indicating a lot of life recently at Sund Rock. That's good to hear.

Usually the O2 problems at Sund Rock don't start to mid to late July. I dove there the first week of July last year and it was fine.

I'd agree with the charter suggestion. Pacific Adventures in Hood Canal might be a good bet, I hear they are a nice boat. The best may be Deep Sea out of Anacortes, Dave will find some good diving.

Another nice boat is Teal Water Charters out of Tacoma, they'll go with as little as four people, iirc, so you might be able to get the boat to yourself. Don't know about the tides and boat dives in the South Sound, but I imagine some places will be doable . . .

It also depends on what type of diving you most enjoy. South Sound will be silty with clay walls with the emphasis on GPO's and Wolf Eels. Sund Rock/Hood Canal will be rocky structures and all that grow in that environment (also Wolf Eels, etc.) but will still have some silt. San Juan diving will be deep, rocky walls with no silt to speak of with more life on the walls but not as likely to find as many Wolf Eels, GPO's, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom