North Florida Cave Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jr511

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
North Florida Cave divers: what do you wear under your trilam drysuits for 3-4 hour dives to stay nice and toasty?

FourthElement J2 BaseLayer
FourthElement Arctic Socks
FourthElement Halo
Santi 60Ww Heated Vest
Waterproof 10mm Hood

Warmth needs will vary depending on cave nature. e.g Marianna area with few degree colder temp vs normal 71-72f. If I was swimming for the entirety of dives, I'd likely switch to an Arctic. Scootering and longer decos = Halo. Heat for anything >3ish hours total or with >90min of deco. Caveat I get cold easily. With the above, I'd be drenched in sweat swimming into Little River/Ginnie/JB for a short dive.

Fourth Element Xerotherm Top and Bottom as a base layer
Wool Socks
KO1 5mm Hood

Soon:
@grantctobin 's Light Monkey Heated undershirt
Santi Flex 190
Forth Element's Xerothem bottoms
wool socks
K01 5mm hood

I have a pinnacle techline (4?? G/m2) that does wonderful.

All depends on your cold tolerance.
Typically:
4th Element base layer
4th Element Xerotherm top and bottom
If longer dive or scootering, I add a Xerotherm vest
No name brand thinsulate socks
5mm K01 hood
If going to be a longer dive or longer scooter dive I change to an Arctic instead of Xerotherm
Santi heated vest will be in my future for dives over 4.5-5 hours

4th Element j2 base
4th Element Xerotherm top/bottom
Wool hunting socks
No hood

I was good after 2 2hr dives back to back. I was in the water for ~5hrs total.

I normally dive in 42* water with a halo/j2 and 5mm hood though...

I was fairly comfortable after 2 hrs in Jackson Blue (68F) with only a 200g undergarment. I've heard the recommendation 200g undergarment if swimming and 400g if scootering as a rule of thumb.

I was fairly comfortable after 2 hrs in Jackson Blue (68F) with only a 200g undergarment. I've heard the recommendation 200g undergarment if swimming and 400g if scootering as a rule of thumb.
This is a good ballpark. Assuming no especially long deco times. I was "ok" doing 3 hrs of deco in a 400gm, but I did swim around a bit to ensure I didnt get chilled or have much vasoconstriction.

4th element Arctics work well for me. However anything longer than 4 hours and it does start to get chilly on deco. I could see adding a merino wool top in the future for longer dives.

Back
Top Bottom