North Fla Solo Friendly Sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWAMPY459

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So what are some solo-friendly sites around North Florida?

I know Little River, what about Royal? Any others that don't specifically prohibit it?

Royal should not be visited at all. And given that you aren't even cavern trained, at least as of some recent posts, you shouldn't be visiting any of these sites to dive with buddies never mind solo.

Royal should not be visited at all. And given that you aren't even cavern trained, at least as of some recent posts, you shouldn't be visiting any of these sites to dive with buddies never mind solo.

+1

Get the cavern training. If you really want help from the board, I think you'll find that doors will start opening once there are some tangible signs of an attitude that's not going to end up with you killing yourself.

+1

Get the cavern training. If you really want help from the board, I think you'll find that doors will start opening once there are some tangible signs of an attitude that's not going to end up with you killing yourself.

NOBODY SAID A DANG THING ABOUT DIVING IN A CAVE OR CAVERN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

before you say little river is not open water have you dove it lately? the water is up above the steps.

both of the sites mentioned are open water sites.

god you people are jerks.

Last edited:
Royal can be a fun open water dive if conditions are clear. I had fun swimming around it several times. The cavern zone is ok I suppose, but the cave is one of the most dangerous ones I've been in. Creepy as heck, too. The last fatality was a double, and they didn't recover all of the equipment...when I found equipment buried in the silt matching the description of that missing from one of the deceased, I put it back carefully and got the heck out of the cave. I don't think I'll ever go back. It's a silty place, no fun at all, bad kind of silt.

I know you can open water dive safely without a cavern or cave certification, but as usual I can't blame the people who jump to conclusions too much. Plenty of people without self control.

Besides who wants to dive solo and have to pay for all of the gas at today's prices? Get a buddy and split it!

Jerk 1: Until you have dove with me and have some real life idea of what my skills and abilities are, your opinion does not matter to me at all.

Jerk 2: Ibid

JahJah, thanks for the input. I dove both today. Royal was full of silt. the vis was probably 15 ft in bright sun, peering into the cavern you could see nothing but an ashy gray abyss.. That cavern is creepy. I don't know if it's because I know the back story of the dad/son that bit it there or what but its just a creepy place. I'll leave it for you guys. The open water part was ok, lots of hog chokers panfish and turtles. You really have to watch your fins though. even the turtles had silt trails behind them when they moved.

Not knowing you from before Swampy459, you last reply makes me think the others has nailed it when they say get an attitude adjustment..

Not knowing you from before Swampy459, you last reply makes me think the others has nailed it when they say get an attitude adjustment..

And yet one more off topic reply. Try contributing a comment about sites that do not prohibit solo diving. This is the solo diving forum, not the "let's psychoanalyze swampy" forum

Analyzing ones mental state is infact an integral part of solo diving and your attitude towards that topic suggest to me that the best contribution is to recommend to get better prepared rather than send you on your way to a dive site.. Which also seem to be the case with some of the other posters here..

There is no such thing as a "solo friendly" site. They will all kill you if given the chance. It might be better phrased as "Dive sites that allow solo diving"?

Non of the State owned sites will allow solo diving and if you get caught you can be permanently banned from access to all State sites, so please don't try them.

There are several other sites that you can dive solo. Little River, Ginnie, Cow, Telford are just a few of them.

Just remember this:
THE ONLY WAY TO DIVE SOLO SAFELY, IS TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT DIVING WITH AN IDIOT !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom