North Eastern PA dive shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

foxtrot5

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all, I'm headed to Lake Wallenpaupack (Wayne/Pike County PA area) in a few weeks. A friend has asked me to help locate an anchor for a mooring ball that he estimates is in about 15' of water. I'm prepared to make the dive except for an air source. I normally rent tanks as needed but I can't seem to find a shop in the area. Can anyone recommend a shop that's not too far? For reference, the place I'll be staying is about 20 miles East of Scranton, PA just off I-84.

Also if anyone has experience diving that lake, I'd love to hear from you!

A quick Google search gives 9 dive shops within about 25 miles. Many are in the vicinity of Middletown NY.
Don't forget your dive flag for the boat/you!
"Scuba diving is a popular activity at Lake Wallenpaupack.Divers will either have a service vessel markedwith a dive flag (most often a red flag with a diagonal white line) or will float a buoy with a dive flag in thearea they are diving. Pennsylvania law requires that no boat operate within 100 feet of a diving operation(marked by a dive flag)."

PADI | The Way the World Learns to Dive® - dive shop locator suggests:
Atlantis Aquatics Sports Scuba - south in Bethlehem.

Welcome to Like 'da Fish - SCUBA - is a NAUI shop closer. By appt. only.

SSI's locator shows a couple shops within about 40 mi. of the lake. SSI Scuba Schools International - locator

Capture.jpg

I have boated on Lake Wallenpaupack but not dove - I can tell you from what I heard about the lake it will be a mucky bottom with seaweed and very low viz (maybe 6 inches at that depth) but the water should be warm. This is based on similar lake conditions - Lake Hopatcong in NJ - which I have dove and lasted about 2.5 minutes because it was a fun dive (not a working dive) and it was not fun....

If it turns out to be a heavy seaweed spot - I would decline this dive due to your profile and the conditions that will be presented. Seaweed will wrap around your reg, your hands, your fins and all parts of your BCD - and no I am not joking - be careful in those conditions. Or call the dive before you subject yourself to those conditions - can you try this dive - sure you can. But if conditions are as described above I would be very very hesitant to follow through on the dive - this will not be a quarry or ocean dive that you may be familiar with.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. :D

Thought about this too - my guess is you are going solo - if you are I dont want to know but you may consider a harness or some type of leash if you get in trouble where someone on the surface can maintain contact with you...

I like to follow the KISS method. Use the OATH method from Firefighting.
1 tug = OK. Can be to ask if OK and to answer
2 tug = Advance ie give me rope
3 tug= Take up rope. I'm coming back
4 tug = HELP.

Thanks for the advice. This dive is NOT planned be a solo dive. That being said, my wife is a much newer diver than I am so I plan on doing a free dive first to get a picture of what the bottom and viz look like. If it looks real bad I may opt to go with the harness you mentioned. We estimate the block to be in ~15' of water and ~20' from the end of the dock. I'll probably ask my uncle to park his boat out there and drop anchor while displaying a diver down flag.

I've had some practice running search patterns underwater so I may tie in a line to the anchor line and run circles around it. Obviously if the viz and bottom conditions are terrible and I don't feel comfortable I'll just call the dive.

That being said, my wife is a much newer diver than I am so I plan on doing a free dive first to get a picture of what the bottom and viz look like.

Free diving is most likely a good idea - just keep your hands out and feel for the seaweed - you do not want to get in that stuff too fast. I hope there is none but just be prepared for it - I do not think Lake Wallenpaupack does a seaweed removal process like in Lake Hopatcong.

For fishing, boating or water-skiing the seaweed is generally not a concern because the props usually chew it up close to the surface but when you are diving you need to hit or get close to the bottom and that is where you will find the thick undergrowth.

Maybe just keep your wife with your uncle on the boat like a "Safety Diver" - tug 4 times and she comes to help with a cutting tool and light. Depending on viz and conditions you may not be able to keep an eye on her. If you have a light and a cutting tool (on your arm close by) - you should be fine. This is meant to keep you safe.

My setup for this particular dive will include my normal 4" scubapro knife on my right calf and a pair of trauma shears in my BC pocket. In addition to that normal gear I'll be adding a second 4" knife to my left forearm and my 9" knife/prybar on my left calf. I'll also be diving with my primary princeton tec light and 2 backups. I have zero intention of getting tangled and being unable to free myself.

Back
Top Bottom