North Coast Dive/Camp Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be headed to the desert for the April date but will try and make the May date.

I love Stillwater campground but the last 3 times have been there have been harassed by the same dipstick of a wannabe ranger.

The ladies are super nice and the younger guy is cool but this one guy....:dork2:

Started about two years I took some kids fishing and he pulled up and jumped out like we shot someone while walking back to our campsite - checked our fish/license and was astounded when I properly ID'd the fish we caught. Prolly felt like a dipstick once he found out why the "kids" didn't have licenses....they were 12!

Next time he hassled my mom who got stuck in the dropoff parking lot down below and she ended up telling his ass off. And last Novemeber he hassled some friends who are local firemen on the n. coast.

I now try and camp in the State parks - i.e. Gerstle. I do like Stillwater for the reasons you said - hot water is always nice rinsing off dishes as well as hot showers but I have had about enough of this clown.

Darn, I just map quested the campground from my house and it is about 530 miles. I guess I have to plan a full vacation to head there. I have a 26ft RV and wont mind a slow roll up the coast. I will be checking into booking a site when I am off work in June.

Last edited:
Darn, I just map quested the campground from my house and it is about 530 miles. I guess I have to plan a full vacation to head there. I have a 26ft RV and wont mind a slow roll up the coast. I will be checking into booking a site when I am off work in June.
I also have reservations for June and August, but with an RV you would have to book a site ahead of time. Let me know offline if you would like those dates as well.

I'll be headed to the desert for the April date but will try and make the May date.

I love Stillwater campground but the last 3 times have been there have been harassed by the same dipstick of a wannabe ranger.

The ladies are super nice and the younger guy is cool but this one guy....:dork2:

Started about two years I took some kids fishing and he pulled up and jumped out like we shot someone while walking back to our campsite - checked our fish/license and was astounded when I properly ID'd the fish we caught. Prolly felt like a dipstick once he found out why the "kids" didn't have licenses....they were 12!

Next time he hassled my mom who got stuck in the dropoff parking lot down below and she ended up telling his ass off. And last Novemeber he hassled some friends who are local firemen on the n. coast.

I now try and camp in the State parks - i.e. Gerstle. I do like Stillwater for the reasons you said - hot water is always nice rinsing off dishes as well as hot showers but I have had about enough of this clown.
I've been camping at SWC for 8 years now, and I know who you are talking about. He is actually a really nice guy, once you get to know him, and visa-versa. I know that the first few years I camped there it was kind of hard to break through the exterior, but I have come to appreciate him over the years. I think that his job is a lot tougher than it might seems and there are a lot of people out there taking advantage of the "rules". I hope you can make it to the May trip and if so, maybe I can show you a different side of him.

Mike is a good ranger, you just need to give him minimum respect, and he should reciprocate. He has helped bring down abalone poachers, he helps State Park rangers, and has saved several lives up there. Like diver chick says, there's nobody around up there. He has many years of dealing with drunken, lawbreaking fools under his belt.

Work with him and he'll leave you alone and you'll have a great time.

I dove this cove on NYE and there was 35' visibility and lots of fish. Beautiful place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom