North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strife:
Why would you dive in a quarry? Is there much life in them or is it something else altogether? I see alot on this board and others about quarries, but haven't quite figured it out.
The only thing you'll find in a quarry is what someone has thrown in there. Quarries are a great place to keep your stills up. A lot of people don't live where there is good diving but they have a quarry nearby. It's easy to run down to the quarry so when you shell out money and take time off to go diving you can enjoy the trip and not worry about the little things.

Sounds like a useful place. Somewhere to practice without much distractions.

Thanks, everyone for such a wealth of information on North Carolina diving. As a new diver in North Carolina, I'm eager to continue soaking up all the valuable information. Keep sharing!

cornfed:
The only thing you'll find in a quarry is what someone has thrown in there. Quarries are a great place to keep your stills up. A lot of people don't live where there is good diving but they have a quarry nearby. It's easy to run down to the quarry so when you shell out money and take time off to go diving you can enjoy the trip and not worry about the little things.

I live about 6 hours away from the ocean (NJ) and only 2 hours away from a quarry. In a quarry the vis is generally better than a lake. You meet other divers. Keep your skills up. Don't have to worry about water conditions, except for the temperature. Also most have some type of aquatic life, but admittedly not what you find in the ocean.

Strife:
NCDiver2004

Good to hear that I won't have to lose my fishies. I was afraid everything over there would be vitually lifeless.

yeah, you'll see tons of barracuda out here, and all the wrecks have good sized populations of other fish.

was out on the Hyde last week, with 9 Sandtiger Sharks cruising around i wouldn't exactly call if "lifeless"

Also, I don't believe in diving solo, so...

Moving to a new area, i don't know any of the local divers. If you are interested, shoot me a pm or post here with your contact information so that I can let you know when I get over there.

I'm going to have to keep up with this post. I'll be moving to the Sumter SC area by Nov. I'm also interested in some shore dives either in SC/NC/GA. Air fill station and campsite close by would be a + too.

Boat:
I'm going to have to keep up with this post. I'll be moving to the Sumter SC area by Nov. I'm also interested in some shore dives either in SC/NC/GA. Air fill station and campsite close by would be a + too.

you'll be about 2 hours from Myrtle Beach, SC. maybe less.

Coastal Scuba runs out of Little River/North Myrtle

Dolphin Dive Charters runs out of the same area.

about an hour north is Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach NC

i recommend Aquatic Safaris for charters out of that area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom