Nortes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, considering that I (and others) are ON the island, and can verify the actual weather against what various weather sites state at any given time, I know which ones historically have been correct and most reliable over the past 12 years. I can tell you that the BW information is the most reliable for wind conditions (wind guru is good too, they use the same resources for info) correct. I do prefer NHC/NOAA and wunderground for tropical weather (real storms) and usually laugh at the weather channel forecasts for just about anything.

Current conditions are very close to what BW & windguru state right now and are in agreement with current conditions from the airport. I don't see the port opening early this morning, and the forecasts changed overnight - but it could still calm down and shift as predicted by mid morning - the wind will have to make a significant shift to the NE or ENE if the gusts stay this way.

Current Airport conditions:
airport weather.JPG

Wind Guru (wind stated in knots/hr) 1 knot = 1.15mph

windguru.jpg

Buoyweather (wind stated in knots/hr)

bw.jpg

Headed to Aldora now to see where we'll be diving. Did the east side yesterday with Liang. It was a long day, but an adventure.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2013 at 07:26 AM ----------

Port is closed. Aldora is headed to the eatside to the south sites over there. I decided to put my faith in Christi and stay on the west side and hope to go out this afternoon since I went east yesterday.

Headed to Aldora now to see where we'll be diving. Did the east side yesterday with Liang. It was a long day, but an adventure.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2013 at 07:26 AM ----------

Port is closed. Aldora is headed to the eatside to the south sites over there. I decided to put my faith in Christi and stay on the west side and hope to go out this afternoon since I went east yesterday.

I was just looking at the SCC web cam and waves have calmed down.
Did the port open?

When I was in Cozumel diving recently there were some North winds and it was unclear some mornings whether the port was open or not. I knew I could call my dve shop or just watch the water for early boat activity but wanted something from the comfort of my bed. I tried googling to find a current reference online as to open or closed and came across this website Cozumel Insider - Cozumel Weather - Current Weather and Sea Conditions - Cozumelinsider . I am not sure how accurate they are from day to day but they were accurate the mornings I checked.

Well the Cozumel insider posted that the port was open today, however it was not? Not sure I would call that very accurate. Tomorrow sure is looking better, wind has died down a bunch since this morning.

Problem today is that it died down mid-day and could have opened - but it's SUNDAY - not a real work day if you catch my drift - so the Harbor Master never opened it.

There should be no issues at all tomorrow - boats should all leave on schedule and everyone can get back to blowing happy bubbles again!

Capture.jpg

What Christie?! You think you might know more about the weather on the island just because you actually live there? Wow. I suppose next you'll tell us we can't believe what's reported in the newspapers there either.... :wink:

When I was in Cozumel diving recently there were some North winds and it was unclear some mornings whether the port was open or not. I knew I could call my dve shop or just watch the water for early boat activity but wanted something from the comfort of my bed. I tried googling to find a current reference online as to open or closed and came across this website Cozumel Insider - Cozumel Weather - Current Weather and Sea Conditions - Cozumelinsider . I am not sure how accurate they are from day to day but they were accurate the mornings I checked.

There are no official online resources to confirm port closures other than live updates that may or may not be posted on dive ops facebook pages! I try to post when port is closed on mine, but sometimes norte mornings are crazy trying to contact all of our divers to give them the bad news.

The Harbor Master report is given every morning between 7:00 and 7:30 and is a multi-regional report - so it goes on for about 20 minutes. Sometimes we don't have the official word on whether it is open until 7:30 or later. We are at the mercy of the harbor Master - he gets to make the call!

Well the Cozumel insider posted that the port was open today, however it was not? Not sure I would call that very accurate. Tomorrow sure is looking better, wind has died down a bunch since this morning.
I think we have seen Coz Insider making such erroneous claims before. Monday does look better. Happy diving. :vintagediver:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom