Norris Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jscubadive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well made my second cold dive of the year in Norris Lake today at Anderson County Park. Does anybody who has dove on Norris Lake know where the catfish hole is? Water temp was between 40 and 42F so a little cool for me. Maybe with the warm days will warm the water up soon.

Me and my buddy Brent went to Philadelphia, his first time there about my 50th dive there but I had not been since 2000. Had some stuff in the quarry that I did not see before. Water was about 48F. Seemed really clear as opposed to the lakes we have been diving lately. We met the owner Mike, very nice person. He said they have had a number of people there so far because of the warm weather lately I guess and was good to see that quarry still open for diving. Does anybody remember Lemons Quarry? Was that near Loch Low-Minn or Philadelphia (Wallers Quarry)? I remember reading about it on the old UT Scuba Club website back long ago but can not find info on that now.

do you guys dive Norris Lake all summer? My folks grew up in that area and I still have family there. I have thought about bringing the dive gear over to have a look around sometime. Where do you guys put in? Can you dive from shore or is it boat only?

Hi Leah

I just got back into diving last August and this year have been diving a few times at Norris Lake. Me and my buddy usually dive Cherokee Lake, which is not as clear as Norris, so we decided on Norris a few times at least. We dove at Loyston Point by the boat ramp but now since the fisherman our out in full force and they block are our way we have been going to Anderson County Park. There are some small cliffs in the area we have been diving with pretty good visibility depending on rain and boat traffic stirring up the lake. Years ago we did dive right on the dam but we kinda doubt that is still allowed now. Visibility was best there. There probably several more access areas that do not require a boat you could go to on Norris, but those are the ones we have dove at. As long as you dont block a boat ramp or get to close you might be able to shore dive somewhere along the many accesses. Just bring a dive flag and float.

I lived in Fletcher, NC from 1989 to 1991 and dove several times back then at Lake Jocassee and that has to be my favorite lake dive I have ever done. There was was a diveshop in Hendersonville NC that we use to dive with out on a pontoon boat over by the quarry area. Also did some night dives there and several shore dives from devils fork.

We are going to the Keowee hot hole this week and should start back at Jocassee in a couple of weeks. Since my buds and I are diving wet, we wait for the water to warm up a bit. I would like to dive Norris someday.

Hi Leah

I remember hearing about Lake Keowee and the hothole but never had a chance to dive there. Sounds like a good place to dive in the winter and early spring with the warm water. We have a couple of steam plants over here and Watts Bar Nuclear Reactor and I wonder if there is any warm water diving there? Would be nice to find out.

Norris is still a little cold, maybe 50F or so but then on same dive I saw 42F readings so not sure what that actually was last time I dove there last week. Norris does not have the visibilty as Jocassee but is the clearest lake near knoxville where I live. I have never dove South Holston Lake in the tri-cities or Dale Hollow Lake, only snorkled at the later, but both of those are suppose to be about the clearest dives here in TN besides the Quarries. Either though is over 100 miles from me though, so a rather long drive for me.

Safe Diving,

James

It is in Tennessee not too far from Knoxville, Oakridge, Lake City, Clinton, Norris area. It is just off I 75 North of Knoxville. If you mapquest Norris, TN it should show the lake and dam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom