Normal for wing to take in cup of water every dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you are in a horizontal position, is the bottom dump valve on the top or the bottom? I preferred the dump valve on the top because it made sense that it would dump the air more thoroughly and I wondered why some wings have it on the bottom. Now I'm beginning to suspect that if it's on the top it allows water to enter more easily once all the air is let out than the ones with the valve on the bottom.

Almost every time I fly the suitcase that contains my backwing/harness gets opened and searched. I wondered why and now I think it may be because there is some water left in it so now I'll be more careful to completely empty it before packing. The thing is, however, that I thought it was OK to have liquids in a checked bag. Am I wrong?

A suggestion, once you're finished up with diving for the trip, get as much water out of wing as possible and of course, manually blow up your wing, leave it expanded, bring it into your room to dry more before packing it the next morning. Am I right to assume that you aren't flying same day?

Just make sure to flush it out if you are diving in saltwater. The water can eventually evaporate, leaving the salt behind. The crystals can actually cut the air cell.

I just recently picked up a used wing from a ocean diver. Thing sounded like it had marbles in it.. Good gosh folks, rinse/flush your air cells!

full.jpg

Mine fills up with water on every dive because I often vent to stay on the bottom when I'm weeding out an invasive alga

Just make sure to flush it out if you are diving in saltwater. The water can eventually evaporate, leaving the salt behind. The crystals can actually cut the air cell.

I just recently picked up a used wing from a ocean diver. Thing sounded like it had marbles in it.. Good gosh folks, rinse/flush your air cells!

Hmm I wonder who that could be... :whistling:

Thanks for the reminder to rinse my wings. I'm horrible at it.

Hmm I wonder who that could be... :whistling:

Thanks for the reminder to rinse my wings. I'm horrible at it.

I was going to message you to be a little nicer to your new one.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom