Nope-Page/Hope Page clone evolution.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James79

Reinventor of Wheels
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A couple years ago I started a project for double hose mouthpieces based on the Hope-Page design. Of course, at the time, I had never seen a Hope-Page in person. A number of evolutions ended up with a workable mouthpiece, with wagon wheel/horn assemblies that are changeable for different hose sizes. Following that, I made a smaller one strictly for 1 1/8 inch hoses (surplus gas mask hoses) for my youngest (now 12). Recently I helped a friend out with retaining rings for an actual Hope-Page, and while I had it in hand I just went ahead and modeled the whole thing.
So, pictured below in red is my original Nope-Page, blue is Ryan's smaller Nope-Page, and grey is a parts interchangeable Hope-Page clone:
IMG_20220321_110058704_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220321_110113235_HDR.jpg

In development now, is a DSV center barrel for Hope-Page mouthpieces, alpha test article pictured below:

IMG_20220320_091603223_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220320_091622583_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220320_091713869.jpg

More to follow as it progresses. Beta testers have already been identified, lol.

Respectfully,

James

What is the advantage of the standard Hope-Page over the old Aqua Master DH mouthpiece.
I will be following the development of your DSV as I'm not entirely satisfied with my VDH version.

What is the advantage of the standard Hope-Page over the old Aqua Master DH mouthpost.
I will be following the development of your DSV as I'm not entirely satisfied with my VDH version.
One benefit of the Hope-Page (shared with the VDH DSV) is the ability to put different silicone mouthpieces onto the assembly, vs. the traditional USD curved or straight mouthpiece assemblies that have the actual bite piece molded in.

The other is the capability to fine tune the hoses by loosening the retaining rings and turning the horns relative to the mouthpiece while hoses are still installed. It's a minor thing, but nice to get the natural tilt of the mouthpiece dialed in.

Downside of the original Hope-Page, is that it's made for 1 inch hoses. I'm going to try to make 1 1/2 inch horns for it, but it will either loose the horns being separate from the retaining ring or will have the retaining ring as a permanently captured piece.... either way it's gonna be a bear to print, lol.

As to how well DSV-ing the Hope-Page will work out.... I doubt it will be better than the VDH DSV, just different. I'm waiting on some o-rings to finish the beta design for the inner barrel, but I think I have the gist of it sorted. When closed, air or water can pass through the mouthpiece, between the inner and outer barrel, and out the lever slot (which allows to clear water from the mouthpiece before opening the valve). However, much like the VDH DSV, it means not being full open will allow you to suck water.

Respectfully,

James

Is this something you're planning to sell? If not, are you going to share the files?

While waiting on o rings I ordered, went ahead and did combined horn/retaining rings and a o ring sealed wagon wheel disc. Now I can choose my hose size for Hope Pages:

Attachments

• IMG_20220323_150622462_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220323_150622462_HDR.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 105
Not forgotten, just life got in the way and delayed hobby projects. O-rings are here, working on tolerances that will allow assembly without pinching o-rings but also tight enough to not leak. It's almost to where I can test one, but time to iterate is at a premium right now.

A snap-shot of iteration.... 2 failed prints for outer barrels, and 9 versions of the inner barrel that didn't work, along with the first "should work" DSV (with 1.5 inch hose horns) and a straight clone of the Hope-Page:
axCG2sq.jpg

DSV top and bottom:
FTeHy37.jpg

nFANzG6.jpg

The lever is labeled for surface "SURF" and dive "DIVE" positions, and the inner barrel has 2 holes so the lever can be placed for either position (up or down) to be the dive position.

Waiting on word from 2 potential beta testers (and for the printer to finish making another) before I send anything out... I hope to open the pool next weekend so I can get some testing in as well.

Comments and criticism welcomed,

James

Looks very nice, any pictures of the wagon wheels?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom