The Assimilation Continues - Part 5. My first 8 dives with BP/W & DIR Reg config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
As you know, I have been documenting my public humiliation :sorry: as I gravitate towards a DIR gas management system and a BP/W. When we last left off, everything had arrived on Thursday afternoon, except for my 22” necklace hose.

In part 4 I described the ordeal of getting it all together - including reading through Halcyon’s limp instructions, my mounting the wing backwards (oops), sizing the rig, and of course the schvitz I developed tramping around the house in my 50/50, full 300g undies, BP/W, DIR reg and PST HP100 cylinder.

You know the first part, now here’s the rest of the story….

Friday PM – pre-dive
The 22” necklace hose came in as hoped. I also picked up a 22’ inflator, as my wing shipped without one. Did the final assembly, final size check and packed it all up. WOW – the BP/W takes up a LOT less room than my fluffy SeaQuest Black Diamond.

Of course, as I’m doing the trial run for this new set-up on a 2 day boat trip, I throw my wife’s BC and Regulator in my bag…in case the BP/W is too weird and the DIR necklace/long hose is just not for me.

I get to the boat and set up the rig and stow it against the rail before we leave. This trip was basically set up by a 2-store LDS out here. These guys are an SSI shop that demands a high degree of excellence from their students and their instructors, and I like that. They sell their training at a premium price, and because of that I’m sure they lose a fair amount of business to the big chain out here that churns out PADI OW’s. Most of the divers from this shop are well trained and pretty well outfitted and most dive dry.

As this is their trip, the other 29 people on the boat (for the most part) are all configured the same – Andy’s suits, the LDS custom BC, Atomic Fins and conventional Primary/octo regulator set up. A few variants include ScubaPro BC’s and a couple of White’s Suits, and a few rental wet suits.

So you can guess, my DUI 50/50 Sig, Halcyon BP/W and DIR gas system stood out like a sore thumb. I was completely prepared for the “dark side” NIH LDS bitter glances and comments – and there were none. Everyone was great about it. Most of the instructors asked about the stuff…where I got it, why I chose DUI, why DIR, etc…but there was none of the sniping I expected.
:flame:

I boarded buddy-less. Its always sort of a trip, as you eye the potential buddies and covertly and overtly conduct the interview process – you know, the “my life will be in this person’s hands” stuff. Last time I was buddy-less on this boat the DM paired me up with a wacky euro with gauges in BARS… This time, I thought, I’ll control who I get. I eye the potential candidates, and narrow it down to two. A guy in a Navy sweatshirt (ex Navy guy…) and another guy reading a BusinessWeek magazine (Hmmm…maybe this guy’s smart) I walk out and check out their rigs – Navy guy has rental wetsuit and BC outfitted like a chuck wagon. BusinesssWeek guy has a drysuit, an HP Steel 120 and has a BC that is more like a BC and less like a Christmas tree. I talk with both, experience, number of dives, training, etc. I select BusinessWeek. As the boat pulls out we strike up a conversation. Great guy, new diver (maybe 20 or so) but very focused and committed to diving. I saw him improve dramatically from dive 1 - 8 on our trip.

Saturday – in water gear tests
First thing I do is run BusinessWeek through my gas management system, as he’s never seen a DIR reg config. I tell him in an OOA, I donate my primary. He’s down with it. We walk through the hand signals, and I pack a slate (just in case…) I dive 95% of the time with my wife…just a glance and we know what’s going on – communication is not an issue. Its always funny diving with someone new and dealing with the communication issues. Glad I brought the slate. Example: I’m 5’8” with a 30” inseam. BusinessWeek is easily 6’2” with a 35” inseam…so he’s just motoring with these huge kick strokes. I’m working way too hard to keep up…so I sign to him: YOUR KICK… TOO FAST… SLOW DOWN. He read it as: SPEED UP YOUR KICK… So when I finally grabbed the tip of his fin, this time I used the slate. For the next 7 dives, everything was good.

On top, no head-first thrust into the sea. I was able to comfortably bob in a safe, vertical attitude. Back kicking was a LOT easier with the BP/W. Immeasurable easier than with my fluffy Black Diamond.

Back to the BP/W and DIR Regulator Config:

Donning / Doffing
I spent a great amount of time on Friday night at home in full gear donning and doffing the rig so I wouldn’t look like a turtle trying to get in and out of its shell. This weekend on the pitching boat, getting into and out of the rig was cake. O-ring had my back and PM’d me with some last minute tips so I wouldn’t look like a complete dork. Thanks, Eric.

Cylinder
I never had a problem with a shifting cylinder and some of the other issues that plague some conventional BC owners – so I didn’t notice a big difference here. The tank straps did stretch some when they got wet, but not much. No need to re-adjust them…the stretch actually made getting the cylinder in and out easier.

Weighting
Taking only 14 pounds in the ACB’s was really cool…sure beats strapping 20 on a belt. I thought I could maybe drop more, due to possible gas trapping in my Black Diamond – no dice. I’m diving the same weight.

Inflation
HUGE difference. The corrugated inflator hose is much larger than my Black Diamond. Larger in that it will pass a larger volume of gas quicker to the wing. The 36# Pioneer wing inflates in a moment. Much faster than the BD. I thought I’d miss the pull dump (as I used it all the time) but I really like dumping from the power inflator… unlike the pull dump I can SEE and HEAR the gas escaping. I was able to make subtler changes. For example, I’d be filled on the surface, I’d dump and do a horizontal descent…going down and down, then managing the inflator to stop myself a few feet from the bottom – no fins into the sand, no breaking off stuff from the rocks below, etc. I’ve never made a horizontal descent before this trip, but I like it a lot. It just makes sense. A Horizontal Ascent doesn’t make as much sense to me…especially with a shoulder dump. I don’t get the benefits to a Hoz Ascent like I do the Descent. Someone fill me in.

Integrated Tank Bands and STA
You know, I don’t think I like this much. On this boat (and on many out here) they fill O2 separately from Air to get your blend. So I have two choices – schlep my wet, heavy BP/W and Cylinder over to the O2 bottle, then stage it back in my station for the air fill whip, or else pull the cylinder from the BP/W and just carry that over to the O2, then re-assemble back at my station for the air whip. Both are not very good solutions. Plus, after the trip I always do a thorough freshwater dunk, and having to disassemble the buckle to unthread the band to take off the wing is a big pain. Two wing nuts and keeping the STA banded to my cylinder is a much faster and cleaner way to deal all of with this. I see an STA in my near future. The Koplin weighted STA looks nice.

Crotch Strap
I need to come up with a better way (OK, maybe a more discreet way) of donning this. With full rig on back, bending forward to look between my legs and timing the swing of the strap to grab it on its forward swing is not only funny looking, but would be real tough to perform on a pitching deck. One good swell and I can see me taking a header into the deck. Need to work on that one. BUT, as one person posted, the forward D ring is a great place to clip a Light Cannon (not upon entry of course…OUCH) But once in the water, clip it off there…I won’t be scootering so it’s a great use for that ring.

Teeny Knife
I didn’t fasten it to my waist band yet, as I’m not convinced its for me. So every time I’d kit up, I’d have to go and hunt for it, because it would fly off. No biggie, I just need to commit to it and somehow fasten it to the waist band (triglide, burn a hole and use a piece of bungee, or maybe with a bolt or something)

Bolt Snaps
I’m such a klutz with these. I’m sure I’ll get better – but doing that backwards clip thing with my long hose 2nd stage to the right D ring was easy on…not so easy off. I need more practice at unclipping at the gate. Same with my back up light. Because of where the “shoulder” D ring is located, I need to do this reverse chicken-wing thing to unclip stuff…. I’ll get a real back up light soon. I’m grandfathering in my lame AA cell until I find a Scout on eBay or maybe one of those Canadian Extreme lights. I’m not caving so 2 seem a little over the top for the OW diving I do. The shoulder clip off (like most of the DIR rigging) makes sense to me, but I’m just not adept at it yet. Practice, practice, practice.

Brain-rotting computer
I’ve always been really streamlined – I hate having stuff hang off me like a chuck wagon. I never understood backpacking like that, I never understood diving like that. You don’t look cool, you look out of control. Just stop it already. The only thing that is hanging off me now is my DataTrans/compass. I love that computer, but I’m making it wrist mount tonight. I keep my hands together under me when I dive…I never use them for locomotion, direction changes, etc. But I noticed this weekend (and its never bothered me before) that I need to reach under me to my left belt D ring, and pull this big ‘ol thing up to read it, then it snaps back. It’d be so much easier to separate the computer from the compass, and have it on my right wrist, and the compass on my left so a simple downward glance would give me the reading I want. That makes sense to me. It’s the only thing that’s hanging from me now, and this weekend it bothered me. I may get an SPG, too. I want the redundancy to monitor gas supply if my Data Trans fails (my low batt signal came up on my last dive – so I dug into the dry box and replaced the batts…). I know I know….next stop bottom timer and watch. But as I re-learn my tables, I’m keeping the computer on board – but in a more streamlined manner.

DIR Regulator Configuration
I bought an Atomic Z1 off of eBay (Did I mention the entire rig, with the exception of the ACB <which came from Lloyds…free shipping on Halcyon!> came from eBay…I love that place) so now I could replace my AirSource. I built the necklace, got the 7’ hose, etc. I really, really like this set up. This is what first attracted me to DIR – the regulator set up. It just makes sense – and being an AirSource user for the last several years, donating the primary in an OOA situation was a natural. One of the by products of this regulator config was never losing my regulator. We all know the drop your shoulder and swing your arm works about 50% of the time (100% on the second arm swing!) But with the long hose, its never far. Not that I lose my regulator often, but when I’m bobbing on the surface waiting for my buddy, or doing a long surface swim on my back, etc., sometimes your reg can get washed off your shoulder. Not with this config. Its always right here. I love it. I thought I might have issues with the necklace – naw. I never even noticed it. I thought the 7’ would pull sideways on my jaw – nope. No problems.

Fins
My ScubaPro jets showed up. Even in size XL, they’re too small. I love my Atomic fins, and the spring straps rule. Everyone that sees them wants them, because they’re so fast to don and doff, and because they’re not the kelp snares the standard buckles are. I want to test dive some stubby paddles. I’m gonna eBay my Jets and pick up a pair of turtles.

In closing

I made 8 dives this weekend in this new rig. From guppy 40 footers in quiet coves, to more challenging 90 footers with 200’ drop offs, to 8’ lobster hunts getting thrown around in the surge for an hour. The BP/W performed great. It hits me in different places that a BC (where the shoulder straps attach to the waist area, the BP/W shoulder straps route under your arms back to the plate) so I’m a little sore under my arms.

The BP/W is not as easy to get in and out of as a BC with adjustable shoulder straps, but I got around that. I like the minimalist approach, and keeping my safety and back up stuff in the pockets on my DUI and not hanging all over me like some in-store Trident display.

One thing happened – the webbing somehow got cut and is fraying a bit – where it comes through the plate to the left-side waist band. I don’t know how, but I noticed it last night when I was dunking the gear (maybe from the weight of the ACB?…even thought the ACB is bolted to the plate…?) I’m quite disappointed ;-0 that on my first trip the waist band from my brand new Halcyon harness would tear. Now I need to buy some webbing and re-do everything. That stinks. But aside from that, I have no issues.

Next on the docket is practice. Clipping and unclipping. Donning and Doffing. Turning on and off my valve. Horizontal descent. Monitoring my SAC to see if there is a significant improvement with this rig, etc. At present, I have no plans for going back to a conventional BC. This BP/W is smaller, lighter, inflates and deflates better and took 6# of my belt. I’ll surely never leave the DIR regulator configuration. This summer, maybe a DIR/F class to improve my in-water skills. More on that later. I’ve included some pictures of the rig and stuff.

This board has changed the way I dive, and the way I approach diving. Thank you all.

K

This link for Images:
http://www.pbase.com/firelogg/dive_stuff

Teeny Knife
I didn’t fasten it to my waist band yet, as I’m not convinced its for me. So every time I’d kit up, I’d have to go and hunt for it, because it would fly off. No biggie, I just need to commit to it and somehow fasten it to the waist band (triglide, burn a hole and use a piece of bungee, or maybe with a bolt or something)

Mine is on the left side, as is the buckle, the knife holster cannot come off.

One thing happened – the webbing somehow got cut and is fraying a bit – where it comes through the plate to the left-side waist band.

Mine has been frayed in many places since the day I got it, still is 10 times stronger than it needs to be though, dont stress about it ...YET Make sure the slots are deburred correctly

Good onya for giving it a go, it will only get better from here.

Dave

no pun intended, honestly.

I need it on the right to hold the long hose - I don't dive with a canister. Maybe I could tuck it into my waist strap...

I'll just sear the fray, and not sweat it. Thanks for the info.

k

Mo2vation once bubbled...
after the trip I always do a thorough freshwater dunk, and having to disassemble the buckle to unthread the band to take off the wing is a big pain.
You really don't need to separate the wing from the plate to dunk/soak your rig.

Just undo the regulator and leave everything else connected... undo the tank bands and slip the rig off of the tank... be sure to put a water proof dust cap over the first stage DIN or Yoke connection... and then throw the whole thing in the tub.

That is way you rinse your regulator, BP/harness and wing all at the same time.

I have a stock tank set up with fresh water and most of the time when we come back from a dive we throw the whole rig, tank and all into the tub.

Nice report! Although your webbing looks a little more frayed than mine, mine is frayed in 2-3 places too (about 120-150 dives on current webbing). I haven't worried about mine yet, but will replace it eventually.... I would check the bp edge down there and see if it is smooth (like Aquamaniac said), but mine is frayed in the same place on the same side as yours (I assumed from my canister light).

As far as donning with the swinging crotch strap... I only do the "crotch strap swing" on shore dives. On boat dives, esp. with doubles, I unhook the bungee from around the tank neck and scooch close to the rig and actually don the entire thing before standing up. That avoids the "boat roll to faceplant" problem..

Mo2vation,

You can slip a section of bike innertube over the webbing where it contacts the metal to help extend the life of the webbing.

Thanks for the report.

I will be geting a BP/Wing setup, But I will have to put the whole thing together since I'm going to get the FredT BP and going to go ahead and get the harness kit which I will have to figure out how to thread with the PIC's and direction. Should be a good learning experience for me.

ScubaDan once bubbled...
Thanks for the report.

I will be geting a BP/Wing setup, But I will have to put the whole thing together since I'm going to get the FredT BP and going to go ahead and get the harness kit which I will have to figure out how to thread with the PIC's and direction. Should be a good learning experience for me.

It shouldnt be a problem as their are lots of us here with BP/wing setups and digital cameras.So feel free to ask if you need pictures and directions

Mo2vation once bubbled...
no pun intended, honestly.

I need it on the right to hold the long hose - I don't dive with a canister. Maybe I could tuck it into my waist strap...

I'll just sear the fray, and not sweat it. Thanks for the info.

k

I have tucked the 7ft hose into the waistband before, I was suprised at how easily it stows there, and how easy it was deployed. After a few "S" drills (which we ALL do on EVERY dive right?), it will become second nature. You will find it very easy to vary the amount of "tuck" to give you a comfortable length at your neck
Its also prudent (and you may already know this) to have the buckle to the right side, so your crotch strap sits square and un- encumbered on the waist strap.

P.S. Nice work on the knife, Hope your wife didnt yell as loud as mine did when I "modified" two of her new Victorinox's

I use a small knife made by a company called Cold Steel. It is all of about 5.5" long (including handle). The plastic sheath that comes with it is EXACTLY 2" wide, and is attached to the waist strap via a peice of maountain bike tire innertube. Since it is mounted horizontally, it doesn't poke me in the ribswhen I bend over. Best part- since it isn't a "dive knife (though it is stainless) it's only about $25!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom