Noob question: Small triples or doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This manifold from DiveRite SCUBA Diving Equipment and gear for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - 200 Bar 5.5" Tank Manifold is for 5.5" diameter tanks or smaller. It has a 6.5" center to center spacing. It is the only narrow spacing manifold that I know of in current production. DiveRite also makes double 5.5" bands. The only US tank that I know of with a 5.5" diameter is the steel 45 cu ft tank from OMS or Faber. It's 23" long and 17.6 Lb. I suspect that OMS also makes a narrow manifold but it is not on their web site.

A Luxfer aluminum 40 weighs 15.3 pounds but since it is 5.25" in diameter, you would probably have to get custom bands.

The Luxfer 30 is even smaller in diameter at 4.88" and weighs 11.6 pounds. The S30s would also require custom bands.

The DiveRite manifold is the so called "200 bar DIN" which can actually be used at pressures up to 300bar (less than 4350psi) and can be used with DIN or yoke regulators.

The Poseidon Cyclon 300 is the regulator that I dive with the most.

Ron

Cliff,

Do you want two independant air supplys?

If you do, then two S40s on a standard wide manifold with an S19 tucked in between would be easy to put togeather and slim. That would give you 80 Cu Ft main supply and 19.9 cubic feet reserve.

Ron

You just need the tanks, a regular old isolation manifold that tech divers use, and a set of bands for them. Victor (detroit mudpuppy) makes custom bands.

I know your considering twins now, but here is some info on the triples that may or may not help.

Vintage Scuba Supply has a triple manifold from the USD Setup for $260. unfortuneatly it is Yoke, not Din.

Vintage Scuba Supply - New Arrivals
triplemanifoldsm.jpg

You would still need a set of bands, there are a few folks here on Scuba Board that can point you in the right direction on bands (Luis or Nemrod). I had triple bands made by Victor in Ontario Canada and can highly recomend him. The craftsmanship was superb.

Tripleminne.jpg

The setup is alot of fun, well balanced and the trim is spot on. No ones laughed yet(well at least not to my face):D

From the looks of the size of those tanks, a set of doubles would do me nicely...

What size are those tanks???

Cliff,

Do you want two independant air supplys?

If you do, then two S40s on a standard wide manifold with an S19 tucked in between would be easy to put togeather and slim. That would give you 80 Cu Ft main supply and 19.9 cubic feet reserve.

Ron

Ron - that almost sounds ideal - having the two S40's for primary with a small pony bottle as backup would be ideal from the sounds of it - any ideas where to find 2 S40 tanks plus the 19?

I just received the bands and manifolds to complete two sets of these small doubles for a customer. They will be twin Worthington X5-40 cylinders with Dive Rite bands and manifolds. I was told that Dan from Dive Rite dove a set of these this past weekend and absolutely loved them. Unfortunately, they are as expensive as standard steel doubles. Of course, they could also be done with aluminum cylinders. I will post pictures on our website when we get them together. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

All the reading I had done pointed to SS tanks being the preferred material for longevity and strength compared to Aluminum. I can flat out state I detest Aluminum 80's with a passion.

So for cost savings, a pair of Al40's with what other hardware would get me setup?

All the reading I had done pointed to SS tanks being the preferred material for longevity and strength compared to Aluminum. I can flat out state I detest Aluminum 80's with a passion.

So for cost savings, a pair of Al40's with what other hardware would get me setup?

There are no SS(stainless steel) tanks made. Tanks are high strength carbon steel, usually alloy 4130.

The OP is confused, his needs are not served by the tech community but by the vintage community.

DSCF0201.jpg

Below my NIB Nemrod triple manifold. I will probably run triple aluminum 30s on it with a homemade SeaHunt harness on Victor bands as soon as I decide for sure the tanks.

DSCF0200.jpg

I also agree that double 40s would be kool.

As to a BC, you don't need no stink'n BC but if you must then get a hosecollar type like this:

DSCF0195.jpg

My double aluminum 50s on Sherwood twin outlet valve the Double 50s:

DSCF0593.jpg

And to the OP, since your a freediver accustomed to silence then you will be better served with a good old Aqua Master with silent and smooth operationand no bubbles pounding your ears and blocking your vision and jacking your jaw. Doesn't need redundancy because it is built like a tank. Nothing like rocking the boat and crusing past some tech guys at 150 feet in their triple, double redundancy with bungeed quadruple regulators and triple smeckle wings and five compasses in case one points south and just have a good old Aqua Master and a triple tank set---just my dream--to swim through the hanger deck of the Oriskany with triples and an Aqua Master. Notice the SeaTurtle second stage--the worlds smallest and lightest regulator--breaths just fine at 110 feet.

DSCF0177.jpg

Like he says, "Let's turn the page," let's turn the page and move on to the new direction in diving, Minimalism.

N

The OP is confused, his needs are not served by the tech community but by the vintage community. ... Like he says, "Let's turn the page," let's turn the page and move on to the new direction in diving, Minimalism.
Wonderful post, Nem! I confess, you really have me intrigued about finding a 'vintage' diver locally who can share the fun and let me try some gear!
Nothing like rocking the boat and crusing past some tech guys at 150 feet in their triple, double redundancy with bungeed quadruple regulators and triple smeckle wings and five compasses in case one points south and just have a good old Aqua Master and a triple tank set---just my dream--to swim through the hanger deck of the Oriskany with triples and an Aqua Master.
LOL, continuously!!!We were down at Forty Fathom last weekend for a buddy's tec course completion. Carrying the double 130s back UP the (long, steep) stairs, then coming back down (and up again) for the two deco bottles, then coming back yet again to check that we hadn't left any of our quadruply redundant gear, left me a bit winded. I think I like the gear in the top picture in your post more and more. Look forward to seeing you in the hangar deck. Just don't laugh at us too much as you swim by. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom