Noob light question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the Princeton Tec tank marker light. An extra bit of visibility helps your buddy and/or anyone else keep track of you.

By the way, if you're doing a night dive you're gonna need ANOTHER light.

Redundancy: "Two is one, and one is none."

i agree and I'll probably rent one from the dive shop down in Mexico. I will eventually add a primary to the arsenal. I like to really research and get the right one the first time and just didn't have the time to pull it all together prior to this trip as it was hastily put together.

Thanks for the great advice everyone!

Jeff

What do y'all think about the small tank lights? Is that a marketing thing to get noobs like me or a good idea?

If the concern is buddy separation, I find them useless in good viz, and not powerful enough to make a difference in poor conditions. For really poor visibility one of those works better, although tank attachment isn't as easy (and at this point I usually ask myself why I'm diving in pea soup in the first place).

For identifying your buddy at night in a swarm of other divers however, they're excellent.

My instructor is a bit anal about wrist lanyards and keeps reminding us to make sure and check that it's cinched around our wrist, once you check, double check. For the lazy, here's an alternative:

CRLO3 reviews and discounts, Cetecea

I have my secondary light on this, or I'll have my camera clipped so I can have my hands free while descending (I use a P&S, not an SLR)

Personally, I have a clip on the lanyard of my little 4AA backup light and I have that clipped to one of my chest D-rings and then I tuck the light in my waist belt. It's easy to grab, it's nearly impossible to entangle anything with it and I leave it clipped when/if I use it, the lanyard gives it plenty of play to look around or signal with and if I drop it, it's going nowhere. Where's it going? nowhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom