Noob light question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Centexbear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I get how to tie a snap bolt on the end of my backup light and clip it onto a D ring. I also get securing the light end with a rubber band/hose/bungee.

The part I don't get is when you unclip it, don't you risk fumbling it or dropping it? Mine came with a lanyard and I read a post about securing the lanyard on the clip or D ring too but when you unclip it; isn't there a risk of dropping it while putting the lanyard on your wrist?

Just seems like a risky thing for a backup that you can easily fumble it. Seems like most DIR things are sorta fail proof or redundant.

Am I missing something?

Thank you!

Jeff

Seems like most DIR things are sorta fail proof or redundant.

No proper DIR training (yet) here, so feel free to flame if I'm wrong - but my understanding is that fail proof training is part of the fail proofing, so there should be no reason to fumble with your light because you practiced that move again and again :D

As for redundancy, you can carry a secondary backup light, and your buddy will have two as well - so even if you loose one, it's no big deal. Finally, I think the order is turn on, signal, and only then unclip - so a dropped light might be recoverable depending of the environment.

\

Am I missing something?

Yes, the part about removing the lanyard too.

:D

Sure you could fumble it. So don't. Be sure to turn it ON before you unclip it. This way if you DO fumble it, you'll be able to FIND it.

Of course this is part of why the DIR primary light is a corded light head attached to a canister and worn on the hand via a Goodman handle. You can't lose it.

Remember, the only reason you'd have your backup light out is if your primary light failed.

Yes, the part about removing the lanyard too.

:D

Sure you could fumble it. So don't. Be sure to turn it ON before you unclip it. This way if you DO fumble it, you'll be able to FIND it.

Of course this is part of why the DIR primary light is a corded light head attached to a canister and worn on the hand via a Goodman handle. You can't lose it.

Remember, the only reason you'd have your backup light out is if your primary light failed.

So I should completely remove the wrist lanyard? and hold it in my hand when needed or using?

To be honest, this is my one and only light..thus the concern about dropping it. I am doing my ow checkout dives this weekend and am in the process of buying gear. I only purchased one light and don't have a backup. I only used the terminology "backup" due to the method of clipping it off with a snap bolt where the backup should be. The type of light I got would be a backup type light for "real" divers. Right now I am not going to go out and buy a $1000 Salvo light...I got the 4.7W Intova Cree LED from Cave Adventurers.

When I was borrowing peoples backup lights to dive with If they had a lanyard I used it as normal, if a bolt snap I attached it to my chest ring and left it there. I was able to see everything I needed to just pointing the light from my chest.

Edit: I'm still very very new to diving, so take that into account.

I am doing my ow checkout dives this weekend and am in the process of buying gear.

You'll have no need for a light on your checkout dives. Don't even bring it with you.

Good luck, and enjoy!

To be honest, this is my one and only light..thus the concern about dropping it.

A trick someone showed me is to have a 'fixed' loop of bungee around one wrist. I only did a couple of dives in that configuration, but so far I like it:
  • Lanyard doesn't get in the way of clipping/stowing the light
  • If you want to secure the light to your wrist once deployed, clip it to the bungee
  • You can still pass the light around (with or without the bungee) easily
  • If the bungee is the right size, you can double wrap it, stick the light in it and you get a mini goodman handle

A trick someone showed me is to have a 'fixed' loop of bungee around one wrist. I only did a couple of dives in that configuration, but so far I like it:
  • Lanyard doesn't get in the way of clipping/stowing the light
  • If you want to secure the light to your wrist once deployed, clip it to the bungee
  • You can still pass the light around (with or without the bungee) easily
  • If the bungee is the right size, you can double wrap it, stick the light in it and you get a mini goodman handle

great idea! Thank you!

No, I won't take my light to my checkout dive in the mucky Texas lake where we'll be, but I will take it to Cozumel next week as I plan on doing a night dive.

What do y'all think about the small tank lights? Is that a marketing thing to get noobs like me or a good idea?

Practice, practice, practice. You will be amazed at how much muscle memory makes operating snaps a breeze. After unclipping a light from a D-ring, I clip it to a bungee around my wrist so I can let the light go if I want/need to.

What do y'all think about the small tank lights? Is that a marketing thing to get noobs like me or a good idea?

I like the Princeton Tec tank marker light. An extra bit of visibility helps your buddy and/or anyone else keep track of you.

By the way, if you're doing a night dive you're gonna need ANOTHER light.

Redundancy: "Two is one, and one is none."

Back
Top Bottom