Noob BP/W question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used DR, Hollis and Halcyon. I don't believe I've ever changed my bolt pattern for any of them.

Bolts are the same, but if you are using a single tank setup without a single tank adapter, then the camband slots on the wing and the plate have to match up. There seems to be no standard here. So some wings will mate with some plates, but not all. Safest is to stick with one manufacturer, especially if you are buying a complete package.

I have a DSS plate and an Oxycheq wing. They mate up pretty nice. Oxycheq's wings have a built in stabilizer that does a good job. The tank stays well planted and stable. I don't see the need of an STA unless of course you want the extra weight.

I prefer an STA. I like the extra weight and stability. A lot of manufactures have some type of STA sewn into the wing, but I still prefer an STA. More of a personal preference :wink:

+1

I originally had a Halcyon wing with the built-in stabilizer rods. That concept didn't work at all well for me. The tank seemed to be mounted securely to the BP but would often move during the course of a dive. The STA is far more secure and adds another pound or so to the BP weight, which I needed anyway. I personally will not use a wing without a plate mounted STA.

+1

I originally had a Halcyon wing with the built-in stabilizer rods. That concept didn't work at all well for me. The tank seemed to be mounted securely to the BP but would often move during the course of a dive. The STA is far more secure and adds another pound or so to the BP weight, which I needed anyway. I personally will not use a wing without a plate mounted STA.

Have you used a DSS wing with a compressible "wobble stopper" ? These work much better than hard rods in previous designs.

Such a design can actually be more secure than a STA because STA's tend to pivot on the bolts used to secure them to the back plate. Remember between the STA and the back plate is usually a less than flat metal grommet in the wing and or the harness.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom