Non-split fin for bad knee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galvanni

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've posted elsewhere about getting new fins because I want hard sole boots (that was the topic) for shore diving and my current (and first and only) pair of Aeris first generation Velocity fins "just" fit with my normal thin sole tropical booties - although the fit is dang near perfect. So I would definitely need a new set of fins to go to a hard sole.

So I'm looking for a new fin and never went down the road of split fins as far as investigating it. That's not the topic of this question. I would like to find some suggestions on non-split rigid fins that (and here's the kicker - no pun intended) are not as hard (relatively) on my knees and ankles.

I'm in excellent shape but two bad accidents caused a lot of damage to the knee and ankle on my left leg. One dive, two dives - and even three and I'm Ok but with some decent pain. I especially noticed this when I did the tired diver tow. I'm 5'8" 147 he was probably 6'4" in the 220-230 range. It bit me good then - I just cringed and towed him all the way back to the dock from the helicopter at Dutch. In all fairness this was after a very minor strain a few days before - one of those "ouch - that was weird" type of things that gives you some pain for a day or too but nothing horrible. But it's a recurring theme. My knee is very loose so one awkward motion while doing something like running or dodging and not paying attention and it's loose enough to move the knee to an extreme very easily and stretch what ligaments are still intact.

I'm not sure I can do 3 per day for a week straight without running into problems. The main problem is in my knee and not so much the ankle - the area around the ligaments start to hurt quite bad - not intolerable, but I have a very high tolerance for pain (have had several compound fractures). The ankle not as bad and any pain that happens there doesn't seem to carry over to the next dive unless I'm really forcing something.

So - looking for a suggestion on rigid fins that are relatively easier on you than others in that category. I'm using this to make a decision - I already know that splits would probably benefit me well here - but I'm looking at both options fairly.

+1 Force Fins

Force-Fin-Original.jpg

Last edited:
I also have a bad knee and also searched for a solution.
I have purchased and had great luck with AUQA LUNG HOLESHOTS adjustable tension fins.
Wow, what a difference. You can adjust these in 3 different settings.
Check them out and good luck

Hey Galvanni:

I live about ten miles north of you. Check out Indian Valley Scuba in Harleysville, PA Indian Valley Scuba. They had their 'Dive In' yesterday, and put a lot of stock on sale (some 50% off). You can look at the Force Fins, and compare them to others they have in stock. I guess I could say that we will see you at Dutch Springs sometime! Just tell them about your issue, and that NC Wreck Diver told you to contact them. You could talk to Bev, Brian or John. They are there the most. Other shop techs work there part time. Take care.

Safe diving to you.

Last edited:
I have purchased and had great luck with AUQA LUNG HOLESHOTS adjustable tension fins.

Do you mean Slingshots? They look a little 'gimmicky' to be. Approaching a solution with complexity, when Force Fin have provided the solution with simple, minimalistic design genius.

By all means try them... but don't buy anything until you have tried Force Fins.

SLINGSHOTS :shakehead:
aqua-lung-slingshot-fins.jpg

I know Brian and Bev - quickly becoming my favorite LDS. I intend on taking it up with them - just getting multiple opinions - due diligence as I always do. I was at the Dive-In yesterday for a few hours but I had to leave due to an emergency call from family and it was too hectic there to bug them. I had originally entertained the new Velocity X3 by Aeris and they received good reviews but I feel they'll be just like my current version. Not that there's anything wrong with them - when I'm not in pain - I love the torque I get from the Velocities and the fit and the weight.

I will drop by next week and try the force fins on. I'm afraid of those slingshots - lots to go wrong and people say the power bands click all the time.

Lambo - do those AL Slingshots really click on each stroke. That would annoy the hell out of me.

Are you talking about flutter kicking, or does frog kicking hurt your legs too?

Flutter but when the pain starts it's bad even on frog. In fact I thing frog is worse because of the tension on the sides of the knees instead of front and back.

Back
Top Bottom