Non-Lead Soft Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bismuth is also a metal
Bismuth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey, if we are going to try and use gold, why not just skip all the way to depleted uranium?
Its just about twice as dense as lead, so you need half the volume for the same weight. That would really make the weight belt more comfortable. Don't know about having the low level radiation strapped around your waist though.

As long as we're hijacking this to talk about gold and depleted uranium, see this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ems/237159-why-not-tungsten-instead-lead.html

I think, from reading that and a little research, the winner for pure functionality, price-be-damned, is iridium. The second-most-dense element, it's almost twice as dense as lead, 10% denser than depleted uranium (and not at all radioactive), and chemically nearly inert, which therefore makes it a better choice than the slightly more dense osmium, which has highly toxic oxides.

And I said price-be-damned, but actually it's less than half the price of gold, so almost a bargain. Dropping that weight belt is going to hurt unless you're Larry Ellison, though. But if he were a diver, I could even see him with iridium soft weights. He's got sails for his boat that cost more.

I made my soft weights using zinc coated BBs from big retail store. I'm sure that lead would be somewhat more compact but these have worked fine for me and were cheaper and quicker to obtain for the amount of weight I needed. Eventually I do plan to replace them with lead shot (which I can order locally) - but in the meantime I've been satisfied.

I made my soft weights using zinc coated BBs from big retail store. I'm sure that lead would be somewhat more compact but these have worked fine for me and were cheaper and quicker to obtain for the amount of weight I needed. Eventually I do plan to replace them with lead shot (which I can order locally) - but in the meantime I've been satisfied.

Zinc coated steel will get a lot lighter with any major exposure to saltwater...

I tried to buy several different "heavy" metals... found out you have to, for the most part, have the governments permission here.. tungsten in particular.

If you want cheap lead, just look for used diving weights or lead shot on ebay, now with the flat rate boxes from the post office, weight doesn't matter anymore for shipping so you can ship 20-30 lbs of lead for only 10-12 bucks.

For example not long ago, found some old dive weights from north carolina on ebay, total of 16 lbs. Won it for $14, shipping was $12, total of $26 for 16 lbs-----try getting that at sport chalet :)

if you line some soft weight bags with cloth pockets, maybe try sand. make sure to dry it after dives. its flexible.. FREE and still fairly dense.

no chemical leaching in water... and you can carry around some meiofaunal freinds

give that a whack and tell me how it goes.

I bit the bullet and bought 50lbs for $70 (shipped). Still the cheapest option... now I've got to get a hold of the vacuum sealer without my wife seeing me!

Lead shot is impossible to find in central CA and the best price I have found for reclaimed is $35 per bag. Any ideas on other materials to use in DIY soft weights? Any ideas of a material as dense and flexible as lead shot???

Sources for cheap shot are welcome too!

Not too many metal is "heavier" than lead while still affordable. My vote is tungsten if you can somehow get it into the shade size you want. It is almost as heavy as gold, but much much cheaper. It is still more expansive than lead by some margine tho.

I get almost all my lead while diving areas people fish. There are tons of sinkers waiting to be picked up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom