Non-golfer buying golfer golf balls for Christmas a couple of questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
A couple of questions for you golfing folks out there, my boss plays quite a bit of golf and as I understand it is a pretty decent player. He frequently wins when he plays local tournaments.

Anyway, I decided this year to give him 6-dozen golf balls. I don’t think he loses them that often, but I figure the more balls he has the more he will be out of the office. He plays 2-4 times a week, but I would be ok if we could clip that up to 5 days.

Anyway, he called yesterday before I left the office and I told him I had put the Titleist balls in his office and asked if that was the kind he liked. I remembered he had a particular Titleist ball that he liked to play with. I had picked up a couple of different kinds, but they were not the Pro V series. He said he would rather have few balls and have Pro V if he had a choice that he just doesn’t enjoy playing other balls. So he has 6-dozen Pro V’s in his office at the moment waiting for him.

Any way I got into a discussion with the golf guy at the store and they also suggested the Nike Balls that Woods plays with. I don't watch golf so, I have no idea if that is true or not. Have any of you guys played the upper end Nike Balls and how do you think they compare to the Pro V1 and Pro V1X? Is there much of a performance difference or skill level needed to play them? Do you find that it is an easier ball to play or is it more difficult?

Also if you don’t lose the ball, what is the playing life span of a ball?

I have Christmas covered this year, but bosses is coming up and of course I might on occasion need a get out of jail free card with a box of balls to take a day off to go diving.

Personally, I prefer the dark blue balls when I play putt putt, and with my skill level that is more ball than I can handle! LOL

I read somewhere before that the Nike Ball you are referring to, used by Tiger, was basically designed in conjunction with him to the specifications of the Pro V1. So basically a Pro V1 with a Nike label. I don't remember the source or know how true that info is.

Either way, they are pretty comparable.

There are also the Calaway HX Tour and HX Tour 56's. They are also great balls but seem to scuff too easily.

As for ball life span, it depends. If you scuff or gouge it too bad then it should be retired. Otherwise, I think one of my Golf Digests recommends bringing out a new ball after 9-12 holes.

I basically use one until I lose it or damage it.

My upper level ball preference is the Titleist Pro V1. I like the soft feel and spin of it over the Pro V1x, that, and I don't need any extra distance.

For cheap balls I like to use the Titleist DT Solo and prefer its feel over the NXT's.

Hope this helps some.

So will the Pro V1x give you more distance?

If so, how much more could one expect?

Is the spin different on the pro v1x?

Most good golfers are very particular when it comes to the ball they use. If you do not know what ball he plays and you can’t dig around in his bag to find out, buy some Titleist Pro V1’s.
He can and will trade them at the local proshop if he does not use them. Don't worry, he will be happy in any event.

The Pro V1x is longer and has less spin than the Pro V1. How much longer? I am not really sure. I would doubt it is over 10 yards, if that.

The spin difference is considerable, however. That aspect comes down to personal preference, feel, and how much spin a person creates off the club face already (ball flight and etc too i guess).

The distance of the Pro V1 is still great and they are amazing around the green (chipping, etc).

I guess for your boss just see which he likes better personally. Maybe he likes to use both even.

Most good golfers are very particular when it comes to the ball they use. If you do not know what ball he plays and you can’t dig around in his bag to find out, buy some Titleist Pro V1’s.
He can and will trade them at the local proshop if he does not use them. Don't worry, he will be happy in any event.

What he said. Trying to find out which specific one he likes is best the best way to go. Ball choice can be pretty personal.

The "life span" of a Titleist Pro V1 or Pro V1x is the same. A good player will get 2 or maybe three rounds out of a ball, scuff it a bit and pull out a new one. It's not really "worn out", you just like to look at a new ball. Years ago, when we played Titleists with balata covers, they had rubber band wound cores and you could actually "cut" thru the cover with a bad shot. I play the Titleist Pro V1 because it has a slightly higher trajectory, and with my swing I can hit it farther the the Pro V1x. It is the opposite for many, and possibly most good players. So, it depends on the player. Whichever Titleist he plays is the one to gift him.

I got him 5 dozen Pro V1's and 1 dozen of the Pro V1X He has been playing with the Pro V1, said he was excited to try out the x's and to see what he can do with them.

Hopefully he will do well with the x's and be one of the folks that gets a few more yards out of the hit. The better he plays, the better mood he is in when he comes around the office. And when the boss is happy, the rest of the office is happy.

Thanks for the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom