Non diving ? on moving to maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

makomike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I wondering if anyone had suggestions on shipping items to Maui. We are moving there in January and wanted to ship things like clothes and household items. Not shipping anything to huge, just the basics. We plan on driving to San Diego to ship out a vehicle and I was also wondering if anyone has done that. Are there import taxes or anything that I should be aware of.

Thank you and happy holidays. Also thank you for all the help on the other post. This is a great group of people that i have had the pleasure to read your post. Especially thank you kidspot for your friendly help!!!

MikeBannon

It all depends how much you are sending. When I moved here a mailed about 20 boxes. When friends left the Island the Fedex'd everything to their new home.

After having moved and seeing what I paid for shipping and what I paid for the item originally...I came to the conclusion there is a lot of stuff I should have just sold and bougt new - shipping is a killer

About the least expensive shipping route for small items is USPS ground, but plan on it taking up to 4 months, especially if mailing it in the next 2 months - Otherwise check with Matson on what their smallest crate would be.

Frequently folks will split a crate with another family moving over to save on shipping costs, but you'd need to find someone interested in doing that - I'm not sure if Matson could help with that or not. Of course that's assuming you're moving from the west coast where you could drop things off at the dock yourself, if not shipping costs will soar. Interisland the best way to mail between 50-200 lbs of small items is usps ground as it only costs about $8/70# or young brothers who will ship a small crate (6x5x8 or so) for about $200.

Where are you moving from?

Another option is to take it on as extra baggage and pay the $50/bag fee - that can end up frequently being the least expensive way to transport a small amount of items.

Aloha, Tim

There are moving companies that will consolidate several peoples loads in one container if your not in a huge hurry to get stuff. Box it up and they will place it on a pallet .Forget shipping furnature and stuff like that, give it away and buy near new or new here, you'll be money ahead. Aloha and welcome to the islands.

Aloha,

Shipping cars here to Maui is quite expensive. I would consider selling the car and buying a comparable one here. For one thing, most of us here on the island think that Maui already has too many cars. Some people leave the island and dump their cars by the roadside sometimes. You can usually find a good deal on a used car here. There has been talk of adding on a high "import" tax on cars shipped here to curb the problem of the abandoned car nightmare but I don't think the legislature has gotten around to doing that yet.

USPS is a good way to go for smaller items. Priority mail isn't that much more expensive than the parcel post and it is CONSIDERABLY faster. Don't forget to add on insurance! Good Luck!

Thanks everyone! I think the wife and i will reevaluate and go minimal. Minimal is my style anyway, but the wife....
Thanks again cant wait to dive with ya!

When I finally left Hawaii, I sent all my stuff via Parcel Post and shipped my car via Matson. No furniture or big stuff. Lots of tanks though. Everything shipped great, and it was cheaper to ship my car than sell it and buy something else.
Interisland shipping is pretty cheap. One thing you might want to ship to yourself in Maui is lots of money. You will find this very helpful once you get there. Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom