Non-diving friend thinking about doing that underwater scooter/helmet thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoveTheMuck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Basically what the title says. The place is Aquafari in Curaçao. The reviews and Q&A on TripAdvisor are a lesson in insanity.

“I have MS, can I do this?”
”I can’t swim, can I do this?”
”I weigh 280 lbs, can I do this?”

Yes, yes, and yes. 😳. Granted, they only go 25-30 feet deep, but it seems very likely that one could fall off one of those scooters. And who knows if there’s hypertension, diabetes, serious claustrophobia, etc. involved.

I told my friend to call her doctor for clearance (she has controlled diabetes and controlled hypertension), and if the doc says OK, to get DAN insurance. Am I overreacting?

I have a huge # of logged dives of all types under my belt, under lots of challenging conditions, and my first reaction was nope, nope, nope. I don’t want to ruin her fun, but I’m a safety girl. Thoughts?

Those things and Snuba both make me more nervous for others than a Discovery Dive would. However, I'm sure they stay really shallow, and they do run these kind of activities all over the world every day and I'm not sure that I've ever heard of an accident (but I haven't looked).

Those things and Snuba both make me more nervous for others than a Discovery Dive would. However, I'm sure they stay really shallow, and they do run these kind of activities all over the world every day and I'm not sure that I've ever heard of an accident (but I haven't looked).

I doubt there are very many accidents, either, but there’s always a first time. I don’t want that first time to be her. Is DAN insurance overkill?

I guess what I found most appalling was the lack of focus on whether this is safe, and what precautions they take. The operation seems very focused on cruise ship passengers, and in the Q&A, no one is asking the right questions. Overall, people seem to enjoy themselves, though.

My husband, who is on a dive trip now, is appalled, and he’s got more experience than me, and handles task-loading better.

She's gotta see a doctor- we can't clear or not clear her. Sounds like the more concerning part is the way the operation runs and handles safety, not necessarily your friend's health.
DAN insurance is never overkill. I used them my first post-cert dive for medical advice.

She's gotta see a doctor- we can't clear or not clear her. Sounds like the more concerning part is the way the operation runs and handles safety, not necessarily your friend's health.
DAN insurance is never overkill. I used them my first post-cert dive for medical advice.
I wasn’t suggesting that Scubaboard clear her - that would be crazy. I was just wondering if I was overreacting. I told her to call her doctor, but it’s unlikely that he/she will know anything about medicine and diving.

I‘m not sure DAN will even insure her. I feel like they’re for certified divers.

I wasn’t suggesting that Scubaboard clear her - that would be crazy. I was just wondering if I was overreacting. I told her to call her doctor, but it’s unlikely that he/she will know anything about medicine and diving.

I‘m not sure DAN will even insure her. I feel like they’re for certified divers.
Oh, I'm sorry- I may have misread your post. You're not overreacting.
I bought DAN insurance before I was certified, just so I wouldn't forget.

Back
Top Bottom