Non-Diver + Beach + Pool = ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gussy

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a vacation with diving as my wife is a non-diver and I've got two kids. They only care about the pool and nice beach...plus of course, food. Is GC a good place for this kind of thing? I don't need to dive everyday but would like very easy walking access to snorkel area where I can take UW pictures. Any recommendations...or should I go somewhere else instead?

Thanks!

Ha! I hate night life! :)

The only things we need are:
1. Good diving
2. Great snorkeling by the hotel
3. Great beach
4. Great food
5. Nice uncrowded pool

I'm one of those who can snorkel or dive the same area day after day with an UW camera.

The diving is great, the viz is fantastic. However what makes Seven Mile Beach so nice as a beach also makes for lousy snorkeling. So you're not going to find #2 anywhere near most of the on-the-beach resorts. The best snorkeling is off the dive resorts but they're all on ironshore so no beach.

The food was generally better than average but pricey. Actually everything on Cayman is pricey. It's the most expensive place we've ever been in the Caribbean.

Most of the diveops pick you up on the streetside and take you to their boat so don't base where you stay on proximity to the dive operation you choose.

This may be completely outside where you're wanting to go but what you're describing is Maui either north of Kaanapali or between Kihei and Wailea. Nice beaches, great reefs for snorkeling just offshore, good food and hotels/condos right on the water.

I've been finding out the same thing in other places...either great beach or great snorkeling...but not both. I've checked out Kauai and it'll cost us about he same as CG. Maybe I'll should check out Maui.

Maybe Provo T&C as long as you're not looking for budget (which you probably aren't if you were looking at GC.) If pool-beach-food is what you want you'd get it there. I think the beach is far nicer than GC and there's plenty of good food. Coral Garden is supposed to have very nice snorkeling right there though I haven't done it.

gussy,
my family stayed at aqua bay for a week.
http://www.aquabayclub.com/
they have a nice pool.
they have a nice beach.(7 mile)
cemetery reef is right there and offers very good snorkling.
dive op would pick me up and take me back every morning.
they are very close to the grocery store and many restaurants.
regards,

Out on the East End of Grand Cayman you can find the combination you are looking for. The location is much further from shopping, most restaurants, and most of the land-based activities.

The snorkelling is best concentrated around the docks of the two resorts on East End - The Reef Resort or Morritt's Tortuga Club. There is still reconstruction going on at Morritt's.

My wife and I stay at a private condo on Rum Point. It saves money and is just steps from a beach and some OK snorkeling. The beach has a grill and restaurant during the day, but nothing at night. Kaibo yacht club is about a mile away and has evening hours. the beach has a Red Sail shop that runs dives and has jet skis, padlle boats, water skiing, and trips to Stingray city. Our friends rent their condo out. you can find it at www.caymanislandhouse.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom