non diver at coco view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doing their Open Water course with Patty at Dockside Dive Center, that'll keep 'em busy and I put it in the FUN category.

Over the many years, she has converted two of my "non diving" friends, they never had any intention. The Front Yard is pretty inviting.

Not really much else....but maybe I'm not the right guy to respond...I'm doing 5 or 6 dives a day.

They maintain an activities page; did you see that? Any of it look interesting?

You've gotta be at least age 10 to stay there, from what I read; I mention that in case your non-diver is a kid. Probably not, but easy to overlook.

Richard.

Absolutely nothing. Reading and surfing on a spotty IP connection. That’s it. No beach. Zip. Nada. We just came back and one of our divers made the mistake of bringing his non-diver spouse.

It got so bad that we used an modified BCD as a straitjacket to tie her down after 5 days of boredom and non-activity.

There may be little to do at CCV for the non-diver, but there is plenty to do nearby if you he/she is prepared to rent a car and be somewhat adventurous. Off the top of my head: ziplining at pirate's of the caribbean, beach day at havana beach club/west bay/camp bay, shopping/poking around in west end, visiting iguana's at arch's, visiting monkeys at gumbalimba, chilling/partying at LFK/BFK, dining out at off-the beaten track restaurants (e.g., La Sirena, Cal's, Ixora, etc.) or just drive around all day and experience the incredible sights, sounds and smells of this amazing island. As a sideline, your non-diver could probably make up the car rental costs by shuttling desperate CCV guests to Eldon's for beverage runs. :)

There may be little to do at CCV for the non-diver, but there is plenty to do nearby if you he/she is prepared to rent a car and be somewhat adventurous. Off the top of my head: ziplining at pirate's of the caribbean, beach day at havana beach club/west bay/camp bay, shopping/poking around in west end, visiting iguana's at arch's, visiting monkeys at gumbalimba, chilling/partying at LFK/BFK, dining out at off-the beaten track restaurants (e.g., La Sirena, Cal's, Ixora, etc.) or just drive around all day and experience the incredible sights, sounds and smells of this amazing island. As a sideline, your non-diver could probably make up the car rental costs by shuttling desperate CCV guests to Eldon's for beverage runs. :)

CCV is ALL about diving. A lot of diving. Those are all wonderful diversions but not much point in staying at CCV if those are on your mind.

Let me add that the diver-non-diver couple with us had the best of intentions when they arrived. He was "going to take time off" with her. Right. Two dives in AM, two more in PM and the yard open for another. And the food is good enough that no-one wants to go to town anyway. Never happened. He relented on Friday AFTER the morning dives and took her to the West End to buy a mug.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc
Just as an sfterthought....best to hire a driver vs renting any vehicle. CCV has a stable of English speaking drivers. One thumbs up to Tim Blantons Tour, as well.

The roads are pure crap. Unlighted, un striped, no guard rails, pot holes & private home made (fire hoses filled with sand) speed bumps. There is no semblance of traffic laws being recognized, hit a stray dog and it will be worth $100 each to all four of its loving owners. If somebody hits you, most likely you'll be held responsible. Crazy North American cubic dollars, take you passport kind of responsible.

The vehicles one rents in any paradise? The effects of intense heat and UV with standard Honduran adherence to maintenance schedules, yep, there are some real jewels being rented out. Who needs lights and wipers in a jungle islands environment... Whoops, sorry, for all you recently educated kids, but I mean to say "rain forest".

True enough, 99% of rental drivers have no issues, but if you're that 1 out of 100, you'll wish you never heard of Honduras....and it does happen.

Hire a driver. Drink furiously.

I don't find the driving to be nearly as bad as Doc indicates. But, then again, I live in Quebec which has third world road conditions, gaping potholes and equally insane drivers year-round.

I agree that the rental stock in Roatan is appalling by any standard. Doors that only open from the outside, windows that may not go up or down, non-functional lights and wipers, etc. For me, it's all part of the charm and adventure that comes with exploring the island.

That said, we try to avoid driving after dark and, if we have to, we do not stay out late. On some of the back roads, there is a real risk of being ambushed and shaken down by people hiding in the bushes. This is especially true in the shoulder season when work is scarce and petty crime increases. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom