non dive time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have heard good things about taking an organized tour through the "jungle" on either a 4wd bike or jeep...any experience with these?

What else - besides eating & drinking and lazing on the beach - would you suggest?

Try something really different, a wild cave adventure. In addition to scuba diving I like to take small groups into some of the new caves I have discovered in the area. This one cave is amazing, we can bring our swim suits and swim across this chamber that is totaly filled with stalactites. It's one of the most amazing caves I have ever been in. Check out www.diabloadventures.com

Later, Dennis

Pez de Diablo:
Try something really different, a wild cave adventure. In addition to scuba diving I like to take small groups into some of the new caves I have discovered in the area. This one cave is amazing, we can bring our swim suits and swim across this chamber that is totaly filled with stalactites. It's one of the most amazing caves I have ever been in. Check out www.diabloadventures.com

Later, Dennis

Wow! I have some friends that it would be perfect for and I will pass it along.

One in our group absolutely does not do overhead environments or confined spaces of any description so I think we will give this one a miss this time...good luck with your move and new business venture!

My personal favorite is to rent a car and do the "salsa tour" of the east side of the island.

James

We rented a car for a couple of days and went sightseeing after our morning dives.

San Gervasio ruins were nice, a good place to walk around for an hour or two. Although they pale in comparison to the ones on the mainland.

Punta Sur Ecological Park, at the Southern tip of the island, is another good afternoon/whole day trip. You can climb up to the top of the lighthouse, after signing the waiver of course, for a stunning view of the island. They have decent snorkeling, smallish ruins, even crocodiles, not all in the same place mind you.

Chankanaab Lagoon Park, what a waste of time in my opinion. Unless you like the idea of swimming with captive dolphins, I would stay away from this place. We went snorkeling among the masses, we did see the Christ of the Abyss statue, which was interesting. Diving there requires that you hire a guide from one of the shacks that line the beaches, doesn't seem worth it, although we didn't do it. They have some fake ruins in a little walk-through area, some strange plants if you're into that sort of thing, I'm not. We snorkeled, plus saw everything, in about 2 hours.

Besides that, eating, drinking, and just lazing on the beach is about it.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver/Nitrox

I'm not much of a bar person, so on our last night we went to the movies. There is a very nice air conditioned, Dolby sound, new, beautiful, cinema across from Plaza Las Glorias.
It had almost all locals in it, and we all saw Van Helsing together.
Good carmel corn and popcorn mix too.

melfox26:
Chankanaab Lagoon Park, what a waste of time in my opinion. Unless you like the idea of swimming with captive dolphins, I would stay away from this place. We went snorkeling among the masses, we did see the Christ of the Abyss statue, which was interesting. Diving there requires that you hire a guide from one of the shacks that line the beaches, doesn't seem worth it, although we didn't do it. They have some fake ruins in a little walk-through area, some strange plants if you're into that sort of thing, I'm not. We snorkeled, plus saw everything, in about 2 hours.

Actually, and in my opinion, the beach dive to the cave vestibule is worth doing once. It is a big underground room with two large openings (it's never really dark inside) that are usually curtained by schools of glassy slippers. Inside there is a halocline with largish tarpon cruising around.

Cheers,

alcina:
Wow! I have some friends that it would be perfect for and I will pass it along.

One in our group absolutely does not do overhead environments or confined spaces of any description so I think we will give this one a miss this time...good luck with your move and new business venture!

Thanks. Caving is not for everyone. :11: Keep in mind that everyone that has mentioned a dislike for confined spaces always tell me after the trip, "I was surprised how large the cave is, it's like walking in the forest."

Good luck with your trip!

What about a trip to Tulum? It is an amazing place. Bring your bathing suit to cool off in the sea while you are exploring the ruins. I would also recommend while you are in the area to stop off at Dos Oyos or Grand Cenote and do a snorkel in a cenote.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom