non-dive: Girl rescued at Monastery from surf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd heard that one of the attempted rescuers died. Could be rumor, though.

In any case, it's just sad that people don't give the ocean the respect that it deserves. On a day last month when the North Coast Divers club decided that all the Sonoma coast coves were not diveable, a non-diver was swept to her death just north of us.

Many people don't pay enough attention, long enough, to the waves when strolling on the beach.

Yes, one person did die. There is an accompanying article on the site.

They were in the water, with no wetsuit for 37 minutes. Nobody could survive that icewater for that long.

A local diver berates the lack of signs but signs can't teach people to think about it. If they had a little TV showing people suddenly swept into the water, they might think about it otherwise it's isn't clear how quick it happens and difficult to get out of.

Unfortunately we're going to hear about 2 more deaths at Monastery this week. A man and his daughter have recently drowned at Monastery, I believe it was today.

So now we are going to do something about it. Signs are being designed to be posted at Monastery to make it safer to be there. I'll post some proposed signs later today.

Unfortunately we're going to hear about 2 more deaths at Monastery this week. A man and his daughter have recently drowned at Monastery, I believe it was today.
In the Sunday incident where the 13 year old girl was swept out to sea, the two rescuers that spent a long time in the water were a man and his 23 year old daughter. He died Sunday. She died this morning. Hopefully, there haven't been additional deaths beyond this father and daughter.

http://www.montereyherald.com/ci_8610034
http://www.montereyherald.com/ci_8614603

That is so sad! My condolences go out to the family.

I was there taking pictures of the big waves just hrs before that happened. It was rougher than I've ever seen it.

My point exactly, And my extreme point in a few other threads!!!!

So we have two or is it going to be 4 or 6 deaths this weekend at Monastery!!

So Sad!!!:11::11::11::shakehead:

I am sorry for my negative response everyone, I have found a hatred for this site, As I feel it is no-where good enough to die for as so many have.

My Opinion!!!

Bash-away....

As I expect to be flamed for this post.

Advaced site only and NOT FOR NEW DIVERS!!!

...Advaced site only and NOT FOR NEW DIVERS!!!

These two people weren't divers. It seems that quite a few fatalities at Monastery are not divers, but visitors from out of the area who see it as a "nice little beach to let the kids play in." There are signs near the beach explaining the dangers of the surf that they either ignore or fail to read.

Love it or hate it, at least the vast majority of divers respect the beach for what it is.

I've never tried to count the signs at Monastery myself, but I've definitely seen them approaching the beach. According to the Monterey Herald there are 22 signs up as it is. Not to rain on the sign idea, but just putting it out there for perspective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom