Non DIR diver that wants to be safe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, this is agreat thread! I've got a lot out of everyones comments.

I just got a BP/W set up and am looking forward to practicing many of the things mentioned here. a DIR-F would be great, but not in my budget range just yet......

Thanks

John, Lamont has given you one of the classic references on the subject.

Another extremely good read is a series of articles on The Deco Stop. Register and search for threads by Doppler. You're looking for a group entitled, "The Shape of the Curve." (I'm too lazy to go find the URLs for you tonight.) It's a very good conceptual gestalt of what decompression algorithms are doing.

Thanks again for all the replies folks. Although I may never be assimilated by the DIR, there are definately some things I'd like to apply to my own diving.

You were right TSandM, the handout from NWGreatfulDiver is great.

scuba spark: I think it's less about assimilation and more about 'becoming a believer' to some degree. (The Borg Queen may disagree :D )

Then again, maybe I just having drunk enough kool aid (tm) :)

Peter Guy:
I took Essentials 11 months ago and highly recommend it. You can see my report of the class here.

I took it using my rec rig, Balance BC, Cobra (AI computer) but with a "longer" (5 ft) hose and a bungied backup.

I'm now generally diving BP/W and doubles but still use my Cobra (LOVE AI computers!) and use my Balance with my DM class.
Sorry for a small hijack. I read your link with interest. I consider myself a "DIR Agnostic" as well.

What was the cost for the Essentials class? Does the fact that you don't get a GUE c-card prevent you from doing anything?

FishDiver:
Sorry for a small hijack. I read your link with interest. I consider myself a "DIR Agnostic" as well.

What was the cost for the Essentials class? Does the fact that you don't get a GUE c-card prevent you from doing anything?

I'm pretty sure that the only thing a GUE Fundies card allows you to do is take further GUE classes... so take from that what you will.

rhlee:
I'm pretty sure that the only thing a GUE Fundies card allows you to do is take further GUE classes... so take from that what you will.

In fact you could say that *getting* the DIR-F card might prevent you from doing certain things (or at least make you seriously reconsider some things you have already been doing).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom