Non DIR diver that wants to be safe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver:
This may or may not be of help to you, but I'll mention it. The folks at FifthD-x run an Essentials workshop which, as I understand it, goes over pretty much the same curriculum as DIR-F but in a workshop-type environment (no pass/fail and no card, just the learning and feedback). They also offer rental of all required gear for the class, including bp/w, regs with long hose, etc. If you can make it over here to Monterey this would be a great way for you to pick up all the learning that you'd get in DIR-F, try out a hog rig and DIR config, and decide where to go from there.

http://www.5thd-x.com/index2.html
If you want, you can contact a GUE instructor in your area as well. I know that some of them (at least the ones I know) will lend you the equipment for the fundies class. I'm not sure who is in MO area, but I am sure there is someone there, or willing to talk to you either way.

The essentials workshop may be shorter than a full-out fundies class (I don't know), but you can treat fundies like a workshop (which it used to be) as well. I didn't go in with a goal to pass, but just to learn stuff. I am sure that both options (5thd-x or GUE or possibly others) would be good to explore.

Good luck.

Chris

cmalinowski:
..., but you can treat fundies like a workshop (which it used to be) as well. I didn't go in with a goal to pass, but just to learn stuff. ....

IMO that is the best attitude to approach Fundies with. I did same and found that the last thing you'd need is more pressure because you really _want_ to pass.

:)

Bjorn

But with the Tech/rec pass thing you might want to hunt around for a buddy that's in the same mindset (rec vs Tech) so that you both can do single tank and have similar goals in the class

Ben: Everyone in my class was in doubles. You're right though, the skills would be different and that might complicate things ... but probably not all that much :)

Ben: Naww, they are industrial duty rubber gloves I get from a fiberglass shop. They simply stretch over the wrist cuffs on the suit. No rings required :)

Edit: BTW, most people around here wear them inside out, they are black on the 'outside' and white on the 'inside'... But man hand signals during night dives are soooo much clearer!

TSandM:
Well, what is it about the DIR system that improves safety? I'd offer a few things:

6. Remember that your mind and body are the most important parts of your diving system. Take care of yourself: eat well, rest, train, learn and repeat every day.

7. Critically review every aspect of your diving. Keep your mind open to advances in technology and procedures. Learn from other people's mistakes (but don't judge too harshly). When you make mistakes of your own admit them, learn from them and then ruthlessly eliminate the cause.

TSandM:
If you do these things, you may not be a DIR diver, but you'll be a good diver and a safe diver.

Yeah what they said.... btw I also really like the advice to find a local mentor.

I found some local DIR guys training for there tech 1 and 2 and just jumped in with them. you can more then likey find one or two that will help you out.

I took Essentials 11 months ago and highly recommend it. You can see my report of the class here.

I took it using my rec rig, Balance BC, Cobra (AI computer) but with a "longer" (5 ft) hose and a bungied backup.

I'm now generally diving BP/W and doubles but still use my Cobra (LOVE AI computers!) and use my Balance with my DM class.

TSandM:
5. Do some reading about decompression theory. Understand the abstract nature of the models, and at least get a gestalt understanding of the differences between dissolved gas and bubble theories, and how they affect the shape of the decompression curve. Realize that "All diving is deco diving" -- Meaning that all diving involves the absorption and off-gassing of inert gas, and all ascents should be shaped to some degree to optimize offgassing.

Can you please point me to some recommended reading on this subject? I am basically totally ignorant in this area and would love to learn more.

Thanks,
John

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom