Non DIR diver that wants to be safe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba spark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello folks,

I'm a new diver, I just got certified last year through PADI. My local dive shop been pretty helpful so far. What I haven't learned in my classes, I've been able to pick up by asking instructors at the shop or instructors that join the dive club dives, for the most part.

Last fall I sent an email to GUE asking about DIR classes in my area, and if they had some sort of class that would teach the techniques minus the equipment restrictions. Unfortunately there is no such beast right now.

I want to be as safe as I can when I'm in the water, and I'd like to know as much about the sport as I can. I don't have the money to invest in a new set of gear, and my dive buddies are in the same boat right now. Another issue is, I don't think I'll ever progress to the point where technical diving is something I'll be doing. It's always a possibility, but it's not a goal of mine.

So, is it possible to be pseudo DIR diver? Since I can't take the classes without the gear, is there any other way to learn the basics of DIR?

The problem is that the skills and procedures related to DIR are fundamentally linked to the gear configuration (and vice versa). There are certainly many aspects of DIR diving that can be applied without some of the gear, such as dive planning, trim, team communication.

All you *really* need for a fundamentals class is a long hose, bungeed backup, backplate, wing, and a set of jet fins. You should be able to pick that stuff up used for ~$400. Depending on what BC you currently have, you can probably sell it for that much...you probably won't want it anyhow after you try a BP/Wing.

DIR is an awesome system ... but it is NOT the only way to become a safe diver.

Find a good mentor ... go diving every chance you get. Think, question, practice.

Being a safe diver begins with your personal mental approach to diving. Don't dive to "bag" cards or personal limits ... do things for a reason. Work on your skills.

These are all things DIR divers do ... but it's not unique to DIR.

There's an SB member called Quarrior who lives in your area. I know he found a good local mentor. Perhaps you should contact him and see if he can set you up with someone who's willing to work with you.

When the DIR opportunity comes, by all means take it ... but if it's not available in your area, take the opportunities that are out there to improve your diving skills in the meantime.

That's my 2 psi ... perhaps it's not the correct DIR answer, but since you don't have local access to DIR instruction, perhaps it's worth considering ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, what is it about the DIR system that improves safety? I'd offer a few things:

1. We standardize equipment, so that everybody in the water is familiar with everybody else's gear, how it works, and where things are. If you dive with regular buddies, you can do this. Standardize how you have everything set up, and try to use the same equipment as much as you can. Use good quality equipment and maintain it well, and streamline your gear as much as you can. Avoid anything dangling or protruding, or huge loops of hose. I'd recommend going to a long hose/bungied backup arrangement, even if you are going to keep traditional BCs. A five foot hose routes nicely under the arm and around the back of the neck, and the bungied backup keeps your octo exactly where you expect it to be all the time. The hose changes are simple to do and inexpensive.

2. Work on your skills. Perfecting horizontal diving position and balancing your equipment so that you can hover perfectly still improves your stability and your ability to place yourself precisely underwater. It also means that, when task loaded as you may be in an emergency, your trim and buoyancy control are less likely to go to you-know-where in a handbasket. Practice emergency procedures like air-sharing, and air-sharing ascents. All divers should do this, in my opinion, because the time to find out that you're not good at doing a controlled air-sharing ascent is NOT when you HAVE to do one.

3. Build a team. Try to find some like-minded buddies, and practice working together. Work on your situational awareness and your positioning underwater. As HBDiveGirl says, "Dive to stay found." Learn where you can be seen and where you can't, and work to stay where your buddy can keep track of you. Polish your underwater communication, so that you can be unambiguous and clear at all times (a laudable goal, and one I haven't reached yet :) ). Spend time practicing descents and ascents, so that the team does it as one unit, and any problems can be caught and dealt with as a group.

4. Study gas management. PM NWGratefulDiver for his gas management handout, because it's excellent. Understand the concept of rock bottom (or minimum gas, as they say these days) and how you vary your usable gas by the constraints of the dive. Make a gas plan for each dive you do, even if it's a simple one.

5. Do some reading about decompression theory. Understand the abstract nature of the models, and at least get a gestalt understanding of the differences between dissolved gas and bubble theories, and how they affect the shape of the decompression curve. Realize that "All diving is deco diving" -- Meaning that all diving involves the absorption and off-gassing of inert gas, and all ascents should be shaped to some degree to optimize offgassing. Make sure you can control your ascent rate, and do shallow stops where you want to do them, and for as long as you want to do them.

If you do these things, you may not be a DIR diver, but you'll be a good diver and a safe diver.

Thanks for the responses Bob and Soggy. I'm already looking into going with a long hose and bungied backup, I figured that could be one of the easier switches. It really does make more sense going with that configuration anyway (at least in my mind, and yours as well apparently :wink: ). I'll track down Quarrior and see if I can find out who his mentor is. Maybe they'd be willing to help out someone that doesn't quite fit the DIR mold, but is willing to learn.

This may or may not be of help to you, but I'll mention it. The folks at FifthD-x run an Essentials workshop which, as I understand it, goes over pretty much the same curriculum as DIR-F but in a workshop-type environment (no pass/fail and no card, just the learning and feedback). They also offer rental of all required gear for the class, including bp/w, regs with long hose, etc. If you can make it over here to Monterey this would be a great way for you to pick up all the learning that you'd get in DIR-F, try out a hog rig and DIR config, and decide where to go from there.

http://www.5thd-x.com/index2.html

Thanks LG Diver, that is pretty much right up my alley. I'd be happy to sit through a seminar or two and see what I can pick up. I'll have to see if anything like that is offered a little closer to home.

TSandM, that's exactly what i'm shooting for. I'm definately not saying that all divers that are safe are DIR divers, but from the little i've picked up over the past year, you definately take a more wholistic approach to diving. My open water class was good, especially compared to the stories i've read on the boards about other classes. The instructors touched on many of the concepts that you talk about, but didn't go into the detail that I wanted. They were kind enough to sit down with me after the classes and answer all my questions though. They seemed thrilled to have someone that was actually interested in learning the nuts and bolts, and not just enough to get the card.

LG Diver:
This may or may not be of help to you, but I'll mention it. The folks at FifthD-x run an Essentials workshop which, as I understand it, goes over pretty much the same curriculum as DIR-F but in a workshop-type environment (no pass/fail and no card, just the learning and feedback). They also offer rental of all required gear for the class, including bp/w, regs with long hose, etc. If you can make it over here to Monterey this would be a great way for you to pick up all the learning that you'd get in DIR-F, try out a hog rig and DIR config, and decide where to go from there.

http://www.5thd-x.com/index2.html
yea, and if you can get them to reply to an email inquiry regarding those courses, I will eat your hat. I sent at least 3 inquiries saying I would go anywhere at anytime that is convenient for them to take the essentials course. Never have I gotten even an acknowledgement that they received the inquiry.
I do have the Essentials DVD though and it is a Great tool, I watch it several times a week.

This is an alternative to the Fundies class. I opted to take the Intro to Tech class through NAUI. It adheres to many of the DIR fundamentals without as many restrictions. Either course is very good if you want to become a better diver.

Safety should always be foremost when doing any type of diving. However, it's more about team diving, bouyancy, trim and streamlining. Also, the NAUI course is probably easier to enroll in and local.

Bottom line is it's all about the instructor. Plus it's less expensive.

Myself as well as many of my dive club buddies all adhere to many of the DIR fundamentals. If you want to go the GUE route, it's the only way to get there. That wasn't my goal, so I didn't bother with Fundies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom