Non dedicatd EAN mixes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guapo69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
what's the meaning of dedicated or non dedicated EAN mixes. I saw that the Atomic M1 reg has 50% oxygen or 80% dedicated and non dedicated! No idea what this means
:depressed:

For operation with >40% oxygen fraction, regulators must be clean. There is no difference in the cleanliness level required for 50% as there is for 80%.

Sounds like a marketing scheme to get someone to buy more regulators than they need by dedicating them to specific gases.

I am guessing it means whether the regulator is dedicated to using (a specified) EAN mix (ie said reg is always used with a particular mix) or whether it it used for multiple mixes and/or air/oxygen

It might also have something to do with the new EU 'rules' regarding EAN regs

Could you provide a link to the statement you are referring to?

Just a little more on what Blackwwod said: Divers that dive different gas mixes on the same dive will have some regulators that are cleaned for oxygen service (i.e. use with high oxygen %). Typically this is only for decompression mixes that have oxygen percentages above 40%.

I only know of one regulator manufacturer that makes (or did make) a scuba regulator that was intended for use with a mix over 40%. Poseidon made the Duration Extreme Oxygene regulator that is design for 100% oxygen service. It has no tight radus turns inside and very few combustable seals that would be subjected to the high oxygen gas. It is designed for use a decompression regulator so it is light on ports and is limited as a scuba regulator.

It is possible that Atomic is shipping one, or more, of their regulators with oxygen compatable seals (i.e. o-rings) so that they are safer to use with high oxygen percentages. They may also be reffering to the need to only use oxygen service regulators with oxygen compatable compressed air (i.e. ultra clean and oil free air) when the regulator is intended for oxygen service. The regulator must stay clean if you plan to use it for 40% and higher mixes, and should not be mixed with cylinders filled off regular scuba (grade E) fill stations that may have small amounts of oil from the compressor in them.

Could you provide a link to the statement you are referring to?

Bottom right is all I could find.

muddiver interpreted it right. They mean "dedicated to clean gas," not dedicated to one specific gas.

what's the meaning of dedicated or non dedicated EAN mixes. I saw that the Atomic M1 reg has 50% oxygen or 80% dedicated and non dedicated! No idea what this means
:depressed:

As I read it, they do not have an "80% non dedicated" model. They have a model they certify for use with up to EAN50 regardless of whether you've had dirty gases in there (weird), and they have a model they certify for use with up to EAN80 but only if you've never had dirty gases in it (normal).

Note, the "dirty gases" phrase is my own, not theirs.

As I read it, they do not have an "80% non dedicated" model. They have a model they certify for use with up to EAN50 regardless of whether you've had dirty gases in there (weird), and they have a model they certify for use with up to EAN80 but only if you've never had dirty gases in it (normal).

Maybe they used the ANDI Complete SafeAir certification as their quideline?

Basically it's a guarantee that the materials used to make the regulator and the materials used to lubricate and regulate pressure (o-rings, seats, etc) are free from oxygen contamination from the factory and will not react (explosively!) to high pressure O2.

I'm not sure why atomic continues to say '80%' when 100% deco is prevalent these days(at least around here when you're not doing 50%), but I use a (cleaned) z2 for my O2 reg and it hasn't blown up.

That being said, you shouldn't use the Ti Atomic reg for oxygen service, titanium + high pressure O2 do not mix, but if you're spending that much on a deco reg you should probably get your head checked.

I only know of one regulator manufacturer that makes (or did make) a scuba regulator that was intended for use with a mix over 40%. Poseidon made the Duration Extreme Oxygene regulator that is design for 100% oxygen service. It has no tight radus turns inside and very few combustable seals that would be subjected to the high oxygen gas. It is designed for use a decompression regulator so it is light on ports and is limited as a scuba regulator.

Not to highjack the thread, however, Aqualung also has a 100% oxygen reg.

OMG, you mean there is more to it than a green hose and diaphragm cover? :confused:

Seriously, here are the three regulators I am aware of that are rated for pure O2 by the manufacturer as delivered:

Aqualung: Titan O2 Din

Dive Rite: O2 Regulator

Poseidon (Xstream Duration Series): Poseidon :: Xstream

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom