Non-bias Flower Gardens review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a great time at Stetson Bank last September on the Spree. I will definitely go out with them again. It is difficult to compare to other places, there is no similar Ocean diving within weekend driving distance of Dallas (or most of the area really). Having said that, it stands on its own. Is it the best diving in the World no? Is it worth the time and money if you have never been? Absolutely.

Best thing about the trip, as others have said, is it is dive, eat, sleep..If you are looking for gourmet meals and a massage, this is not your boat. The food is good enough and always available, the crew is friendly and attentive and the diving is great.

Sorry - been on a business trip. Let me review some clarifications from the above posts.

Yes, it was the O-ring between the tank and valve. Yes, it was a boat-owned tank as I had requested EANx and was required to use a boat-owned tank. Yes, I notified the group leader before we left the dock that my tank was near empty (to tell you the truth - at that time I too thought that the tank wasn't filled), the boat DM the next morning that it was down again in spite of not having used the tank nor having my reg on. They both hunted for, but did not find, another O-ring.

Later, before dive 3, I was really miffed. As everyone else had already gotten in, my buddy and I were on the deck and I refused to enter the water with less than 1500psi. The captain came over and asked if we were skipping the dive. I told him what was up and at least he topped me off so that I could at least start the dive with a full, but leaking tank.

And finally, yes, this is why I won't ever get on that boat again. I talked with Frank and assured him that I'd dive with him again. Frank and Melanie run a class operation. I'll never know about the other boat though.

Of course I was shocked. As you can tell from my profile, I am not a new diver and I've been on my share of trips. As a matter of fact I was already an experienced instructor (PADI MI) when this occurred. And I normally always carry a full compliment of O-rings in my repair kit, but didn't bring them this time - just the usual ones for the yoke. Why? I don't know, but I didn't worry about it because I knew that I was using a provided tank.

I was stunned more by the lack of concern over this situation than the event itself. Stuff happens. And I did email the company (they were still a unified operation then) but didn't even recieve an apology let alone any credit, etc. I know that it isn't a life's savings spent on the trip, but when you're working 7-day weeks for months on end and finally get a weekend off to dive, this wasn't my idea of how to spend it.

As a matter of fact, after my email Frank replied to inquire into some details but I never heard squat from the other boat's captain or the then-owner.

Bottom line: I'll dive with Frank and Melanie any time. They have a great operation. And besides it is fun to watch Melanie get spun up when a diver does something stupid. But that's it.

And I'll add some more clarifications here.

I admit that I shouldn't have left home without my full compliment of save-a-dive stuff. This probably occurred because to get out that weekend I had to work from about 4am that friday morning and had to speed pack to get out of there to catch the boat.

But whether I brought a full compliment, showed up with cheap rental gear, or was a new or experienced diver, it does NOT relieve the boat for that responsibility of being able to repair/replace such a fundamental failure of their own equipment (I have my own O2-clean tanks and was told that I couldn't use it in place of theirs-I asked), or doing what they could to help me.

By the way, the boat DM was diving a EANx tank that trip. You bet I noticed that he felt fine getting in the water leaving me on the boat with a leaking tank.

And they all said that they didn't have an extra EANx tank, o-ring, or anything else to help.

I also noticed that they airlifted a bent diver off of the boat, broke down his gear, and did nothing to secure or inspect it.

Again, all reasons why I only dive with Frank.

I never brought this up publicly before as up until recently, I was managing a dive shop that did a lot of business with this boat and I wasn't going to comprimise the owner's position because of my experience.

I guess my only real concern is that you knowingly took a tank that was involved in a diving related accident and used it. I know you said the boat DM did not keep the diver's gear together, and yes, if that is true it is wrong; but as an instructor and course director, if you took the tank knowing it was the tank involved in the diving related accident, that is wrong as well.

Just my 2 cents though.

Layne

Yup, you're both right there.

I've thought about that afterward.

But there never was anyone looking for it (or any other review of the equipment), and I did note the pressure and fill % before I used it, so no data was lost.

But that doesn't mitigate the fact that I used the tank, admittedly it was 12 hours after the diver was flown off that I decided to use it though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom