Non-bias Flower Gardens review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasaint

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Since I'm anxiously awaiting my next dive trip and live my dive life vicariously though other posters, I was curious to know how others compared their FG diving experience to other locations.

I know we all have our favorite locations and a lot of times we can have biased opinions (myself included), but thought it would be interesting to hear what others truly think.

Flower Gardens have always been a favorite local trip, because it is consistantly different every time.Good for big creatures. I remember every trip for something special. It beats the hell out of Key West and Jamaica (two of the biggest disapointments), but not quite as good as the Red Sea or Truk.

Man, I love going out to the Flower Garden Banks and Stetson Bank. There is plenty of marine life including larger animals at different times of the year. The water can be rough in the winter, but the summer months are usually a lot calmer. Not that I don't mind a good ride on the ladder as much as the next guy. :wink: Vis is generally pretty good too.

The coolest thing is that you're out there on the boat for a couple of days and diving a lot. Dive, eat, sleep...dive, eat, sleep. You get plenty of good diving for not a lot of money. It's definitely on my Top 10 List.

I have been out to the Flower Gardens many, many times. I can honestly say it is a great trip. Here is an article I put together that describes the best trip out there I have had to date.

Layne

Nice start to a trip report. Where are dives 3-7? :D

Just kidding. Thanks for the report.

Well, you asked for an UN-biased opionion...
Sorry, I can't provide one. I'm so unabashedly biased in favor of the FG it's not even funny. The place is so unique and has such a healthy ecosysytem, it's used as a benchmark by which other reef systems in the world are measured. Couple that with a wide diversity of species, including megafawna, and it's absolutely one of my favorite places to dive. The pace of diving is good, too, and the Spree and Fling to a fantastic job of taking care of their divers.
That's why I'm a volunteer for the FGBNMS and I spend considerable time educating others about the place. Hey, I TOLD you I wasn't unbiased!

I've done at least a dozen trips to the FGB and the dives are always great. Big animals including whale sharks & mantas, various other species of sharks and turtles, healthy massive corals, and fish so dense they may run into you. But, between seas, currents, and visibility; the diving can be as easy as you will find anywhere or it can be quite a challenge. Summertime trips are the most reliable but no guaranty of favorable conditions. I have seen trips where the majority of the passengers experience sea sickness and many divers opt to sit out some dives due to adverse conditions.

If you can handle the conditions, you would have a hard time finding a better dive experience for the cost.

Good point about the possibility of seasickness, but until a person spends some time on a small vessel, in the middle of the ocean, out of sight of land they won't know how it will affect them.

I've seen guys sick the entire trip in pretty calm seas. Others can take pretty bad conditions without it bothering them at all. Some people can get motion sickness easily in a car, but not on a boat and visa versa. There's a bunch of factors involved: physiology, experience, age, whether you were out drinking th night before :D, etc...

It's probably smart to take plenty of Bondine or some other motion sickness meds on the trip, start taking it 12 hours before you leave and take it as directed for the entire trip. It won't hurt, but it may help if the person is prone to motion sickness.

I think everyone's opinion is biased in that if they liked something they will speak favorably and if they didn't they won't.

I love FG for all the reasons stated thus far. It's not a pampered trip where you are led by the hand on dives. It's for hardcore divers who want to eat, sleep, and dive. Not much time for anything else other than a bit of chit chat in the salon. Diving conditions can be super easy to very difficult. You never know what you're going to get.

In addition, I like FG because I'm in Houston and it's a "local" trip for me. Just a 30 to 45 minute drive to the dock. No flying after diving restrictions. If it gets blown out I'm disappointed but not out any money or time. I often don't even pack until after the go/nogo decision.

Cost per dive is on par or slightly lower than Coz when you factor in all costs but the difference is that Coz would take at least 4 days to get in 2 days of diving (and you really want to stay longer since you've gone to all the trouble) meaning time off from work. With FG there are no wasted travel days. I can do the 2-day weekend trip and not even miss time from work.

Back
Top Bottom