Nomad LTZ Modifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba 2

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
One thing I have always loved about Sidemount since my cylinders first "rolled off of my back" in 2010 is the number of different personalized configurations and modifications you can do to suit your personal diving style. It takes me back to my days as a VW/Audi tuner guy and the time spent dreaming up ways to enhance the driving experience. With that in mind, last week I finally retired my Nomad JT that I got in 2012 and picked up a shiny new Nomad LTZ. Upon pulling it out of the plastic and snipping the little bag with the tank chokers off of it, I made 2 initial modifications. First, I replaced the webbing chest strap with a bungee style strap that I made from a bolt snap, quick link, shrink tubing, and a length of 1/4" bungee. The second thing was to strip down the LTZ of it's epaulets, shoulder padding, and the couple of D-rings that I know I'll never use.

The reasons I made these two modifications are that with my 48" chest I find the webbing chest strap a little constricting and like the more "fluid" feel of the bungee strap. When it comes to stripping down the LTZ....well I just like clean and streamlined.

So, what personal mods do you make to your LTZ or any other sidemount rig when it comes out of the box? Why did you make these modifications?

Pictures please! :D :D :D

I love my LTZ. Not sure I've made any mods worthy of note at this point. That has to be a first for me and a BC. @Dive Rite should see this thread. :D

Pictures please! :D :D :D

I love my LTZ. Not sure I've made any mods worthy of note at this point. That has to be a first for me and a BC. @Dive Rite should see this thread. :D

Haha, I'll get you some pics when I make it home and out to the garage! :wink:

I have the LT tech which is similar. First thing I did was get rid of the ring bungees and mount loop bungees using the inner quick links and some large shrink tubing. The LT tech does not come with the unnecessary padding so I didn't have to ditch that. I left the web chest strap on but modified it a little to attach a length of bungee to it and around the inflator which comes up on my left from the bottom. This way it keeps it in the center of my chest. Same as my other two rigs. If I ever decide to use it with the drysuit it's one hand to operate both the BC and drysuit inflator at the same time. I'm going to be adding some custom hardware I make on the water jet to change the harness to an H style with the shoulder straps coming straight down as I prefer this over the under the arm configuration that is standard.

I have the LT tech which is similar. First thing I did was get rid of the ring bungees and mount loop bungees using the inner quick links and some large shrink tubing. The LT tech does not come with the unnecessary padding so I didn't have to ditch that. I left the web chest strap on but modified it a little to attach a length of bungee to it and around the inflator which comes up on my left from the bottom. This way it keeps it in the center of my chest. Same as my other two rigs. If I ever decide to use it with the drysuit it's one hand to operate both the BC and drysuit inflator at the same time. I'm going to be adding some custom hardware I make on the water jet to change the harness to an H style with the shoulder straps coming straight down as I prefer this over the under the arm configuration that is standard.

I'm thinking that may be my next mod to attach the inflator somewhere near or on the chest bungee for one handed wing/drysuit operation. What I referred to as "padding" on the LTZ is just the super fabric sleeves over the shoulder webbing and the neoprene sleeve over the crotch strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom