Nocturnal lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Tobin,

Thanks for the clarification for me and everyone else who reads this thread. Most manufacturers don't bother to provide nearly as much detailed information as you did and their sales are not nearly as knoledgeable as you are. Thanks again and perhaps i'll pay you a visit at DEMA.

Sincerely yours,

I will more than likely end up buying a nocturnal TL50 Pro Rechargeable dive light. However, I’m wondering what would be the best way to carry a canister dive light. I was thinking about mounting it to the Tank similar to how you would mount a pony bottle. Anyone have any experience with this?

Hello ScubaFrog01,

The most secure way to carry it would be to mount right next to your tank using the tank belt. If you look at the picture on the TL50 Pro Dive Lights page you'll see the strap that we have on the battery canisters. You'll be able to mount the battery canister securely to your tank and they will sit parallel to each other. You also have the option to mount the lights on the D-rings of your BC. Most people prefer to have them mounted using the tank though.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Sincerely yours,

NLI Tim:
Hello ScubaFrog01,

The most secure way to carry it would be to mount right next to your tank using the tank belt. If you look at the picture on the TL50 Pro Dive Lights page you'll see the strap that we have on the battery canisters. You'll be able to mount the battery canister securely to your tank and they will sit parallel to each other. You also have the option to mount the lights on the D-rings of your BC. Most people prefer to have them mounted using the tank though.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Sincerely yours,

That is good to know. One other question that i have is How is the light head held. In looking at the link above it looks like the "grip" is L shaped. On most canister lights that i've looked at the grip fits over the hand like a glove so that i can be held with a closed fist. Am I missing something. Is there anywhere in the Dallas area where i can go and see one first hand.

ScubaFrog01:
That is good to know. One other question that i have is How is the light head held. In looking at the link above it looks like the "grip" is L shaped. On most canister lights that i've looked at the grip fits over the hand like a glove so that i can be held with a closed fist. Am I missing something. Is there anywhere in the Dallas area where i can go and see one first hand.

Hi Scubafrog,

The light heads are very compact and weighs only around .5lbs in the water, so it is quite comfortable to hold on to it. The lantern grip is shorter on the TL series light heads because the light head is not very long. You won't need a full hand grip like the one you see on the SL50s because you don't need to support the weight of the batteries in your hands.

We don't have a local dealer in Dallas. However, if you like I can send you some closeup pictures of the lights as well as how you would hold it while diving.

NLI Tim:
Hi Scubafrog,

The light heads are very compact and weighs only around .5lbs in the water, so it is quite comfortable to hold on to it. The lantern grip is shorter on the TL series light heads because the light head is not very long. You won't need a full hand grip like the one you see on the SL50s because you don't need to support the weight of the batteries in your hands.

We don't have a local dealer in Dallas. However, if you like I can send you some closeup pictures of the lights as well as how you would hold it while diving.

NLI Tim, if you would please send the pictures to ScubaFrog01@msn.com.

Thank you for all your help

Hi ScubaFrog,

You will get an email from either me or John later today. I took 2-3 pictures holding the lights with and without a glove on. That should give you pretty good idea of how to hold the lights. Let me know if there's anything else that I can assist you with :)

NLI Tim:
Hi ScubaFrog,

You will get an email from either me or John later today. I took 2-3 pictures holding the lights with and without a glove on. That should give you pretty good idea of how to hold the lights. Let me know if there's anything else that I can assist you with :)

Got them, thank you

You're very welcome sir :)

Hi Tim,

I am also interested in your lights, and had a few questions that I was hoping you could answer.
1- how long is the light cord on the TL50 pro? Can the length be changed?
2- Can the lights be ordered with a goodman style handle instead of the lantern handle? Or do you know if it possible to remove the handle and attach a goodman handle yourself?
3- I may have missed it on the website, but do you have specs for the average burn time of the bulbs (not burn time based on the battery life, but life expectancy of the bulbs)? In other words, if the over-volting of the lights results in a lower burn time than a bulb that is under-driven, how much bulb life is given up? Can I expect a bulb to last 50 hours, 100 hours, 1000 hours?
4- As far as the bulbs go, since they are not focusable, can the bulbs be ordered in a narrow or wide pattern?
5- I was wondering about the difference in the burn time for the 50 pro and the 50 extreme. They look like they have similar specs, does the extreme version have larger batteries?
They look like good lights, and I don't have the money to spend on an HID light right now, so I am very interested. Even if the I had to replace the bulb every 6 months (I don't do THAT much diving), it would take a long, long time to make up the difference in price between the HID lights and your Halogens.
Sorry for so many questions, I posted them on here cause I figure there might be other people out there with similar questions.

Thanks,
Jason

Oh, and I would love to see those close-up pics if you don't mind sending them to me:
jasonmh26@hotmail.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom