No Technical Training for Me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
Now ye're talkin' 'bout some "pretty" math! The variables are wave height, period, and how much your body moves up and down as the waves pass... It is sufficient to say that if you can feel the up & down then there's probably enough affect to make your stop somewhat less exact and more prone to unpleasant fizzies than you'd like -

All you'd need is a digital depth (pressure) guage with a reasonably fast sampling rate. I would just log a few minutes of data in a range of sea conditions.

I don't know but I'm not sure that the up and down that you feel really results in much of the way of pressure change.

Well I'm pretty happy I asked that question about the 80% issue. As someone very interested in tech diving, this was a great debate to read and see several sides to the story. I'm looking forward to taking the advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures course, and getting a much better understanding of the arguments put forward here, and being able to come to my own conclusion. Thanks again guys.

Jim

Jimmer:
Well I'm pretty happy I asked that question about the 80% issue. As someone very interested in tech diving, this was a great debate to read and see several sides to the story. I'm looking forward to taking the advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures course, and getting a much better understanding of the arguments put forward here, and being able to come to my own conclusion. Thanks again guys.

*Regardless* of the debate about 80%...PLEASE find another instructor. The one you just described is an accident waiting to happen.

Soggy:
*Regardless* of the debate about 80%...PLEASE find another instructor. The one you just described is an accident waiting to happen.
Listen to Comrade Diver Soggy.

I always thought that one of the "benefits" of 100% is that you never hook the potentially dirty air from a compressor up to your tank. With an oxygen bottle only oxygen goes in the tank, thus reducing the potential for contamination?

Soggy:

All I have ever said about that instructor is that he believes there are occassions where he feels 80% is a valid choice. He does use 100% the majority of the time. I can understand your feeling that 80% is not optimal, and that's fine, but how do you come to the conclusion that just because he chooses occasionally to dive 80%, he is an accident waiting to happen? In case you are confused this is a totally different instructor than the one mentioned in the original post.

Soggy:
That was the confusion. I had assumed (***** + u + me) that you were referring to the same instructor. Nevermind.
I thought the same thing ... but then great minds think alike, and so do ours.

MikeFerrara:
AI don't know but I'm not sure that the up and down that you feel really results in much of the way of pressure change.
Now where's the fun in that? We're measuring to the nearest hundredth of an atmosphere here, so a .1 change is TEN! Anyway, it's fun playing with the numbers so long as it's understood we're playing :)
Rick

I use O2 but I used to use 80% and I'm still alive. I don't see any sense in pumping a bunch of nitrogen on top of perfectly good oxygen but I don't feel real strong about it if someone else want to.

I also see some real value in diving the same gasses for the same depth ranges all the time. I suppose you could use any set of gasses you want. You can't help but learn the way the schedules shake out for the deth and times you dive a lot and I think that makes things nice. I've kind of settled on the same gasses that GUE uses and there are a couple of reasons for that. First off, if you bank 32%, which I would like to do, they are a no-brainer to mix. Also though, lots of divers use them and it makes it easy to meet up with someone from the other side of the country for a dive. Everyone shows up with the same gas and already has similar schedules worked out. In the very worst case, it takes very little messaging to come up with a schedule that everyone is willing to dive...and you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom