No Technical Training for Me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike,
I'm far from perfect and I am not ashamed to admit it. I lost control of a DSMB at 16metres and had an uncontrolled ascent but I didn't panic - there's a difference -physics took over and it was an attempt at midwater deployment. I also appreciate the difficulty of putting up a DSMB in the shallows and have messed up more DSMB deployments than anyone I know. You have to remember in some areas this is considered a basic skill - and there are different ways to do it. It's not a UK issue but a diving issue and I'm pretty sure it would be the case in other areas in North America.

Soggy:
So, your argument about buoyancy skills and 80% being safer is bunk.

I think you're only 80% sure :wink:

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

actually I'm 74.2% sure. I didn't have a full o2 bottle.

it's not bunk, even with great buyoncy skils, large swells and wave action can shift your deco 3 to 4 ft or more..

It works for me.

I'm pretty sure that I'm at least 80% sure that 100% of people breathing 21% understand this sentence....:eyebrow:

Cheers:D

Mike

PS: Nice to see that this forum has a great sence of humor:wink:

Mike Edmonston:
it's not bunk, even with great buyoncy skils, large swells and wave action can shift your deco 3 to 4 ft or more..

Not really, unless you have a death grip on the anchor line. Drifting, a huge wave does not change anything about your depth.

dbulmer:
Mike,
I'm far from perfect and I am not ashamed to admit it. I lost control of a DSMB at 16metres and had an uncontrolled ascent but I didn't panic - there's a difference -physics took over and it was an attempt at midwater deployment. I also appreciate the difficulty of putting up a DSMB in the shallows and have messed up more DSMB deployments than anyone I know. You have to remember in some areas this is considered a basic skill - and there are different ways to do it. It's not a UK issue but a diving issue and I'm pretty sure it would be the case in other areas in North America.

I could tell you horror stories of students when I was a DM back in the early 80's lol

I consider clearing a mask a basic skill, but it seems like the 1 skill that new divers fear righ out of the gate. the whole "water up the nose" fear. Ask some fellow instructors, about students bolting when they take their mask off underwater. happens all the time.

Ahhh... the joys of teaching:eyebrow: ahh...gasp...choke

Cheers.:D

Mike

Soggy:
Not really, unless you have a death grip on the anchor line. Drifting, a huge wave does not change anything about your depth.
Right, and strange as it seems, the measurable depth change varies indirectly with wave height, so the bigger the better up to the point the wave breaks.

Soggy:

I apologize, I was referring to drift decompression with liftbag. such as the wonderful times that a strong current can blow you off the wreck and you have to do a "hanging shark bait" deco :eyebrow:

Cheers.

Mike

Mike Edmonston:
I apologize, I was referring to drift decompression with liftbag. such as the wonderful times that a strong current can blow you off the wreck and you have to do a "hanging shark bait" deco :eyebrow:

Waves do not have an effect on your measured depth when you are drifting, even with a lift bag.

The only time when this is a 'problem' is when you are hanging off of an anchor line (as we do in the North East) and have a death grip. This can be mitigated with a loose grip on the line and/or a jon line.

It's a conspiracy isn't it... You guys all want me to stop using 80% and buy a booster...

It's all clear to me now lol

Cheers

Mike

Mike Edmonston:
It's a conspiracy isn't it... You guys all want me to stop using 80% and buy a booster...

You shouldn't really need it. If you can do a dive or two on 80% at 3000 psi, that's not much different than using your 2100 psi of 100%, since you are using it shallower. I'll admit, it is a little less gas, but if you're only valid reason for using is 80% is "need a booster," then that's not very compelling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom