No support for Tusa computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got back from cozumel where my Tusa IQ 700 computer managed to lock itself into thinking it was at 19000ft altitude instead of -45 ft. A new bat and hitting reset did not cure this problem soooo, upon returning home i called Tusa for help and was told it could not be fixed and was made in japan and no longer being supported. they could not/would not even give me a better price on a replacement. Apparently they don't want my business any more.
Does anyone know of a fix to this problem or do i now have a multi $100 paperweight? Does anyone have any recommendations for a good mid cost/function computer that is dependable and is supported by the manufacturer?

no computer will be supported after 7-10 years.

Pretty much what I would say as well. This is a discontinued computer, and you may as well replace it.

I seriously doubt even Seiko (the module manufacturer IIRC) has any of the parts for it. Even if they did, is it worth spending the same amount of money to repair it over getting a new computer with current electronics and warranty?

I run an Oceanic VEO 3.0 and recently picked up the discontinued Aeris brand equivalent, the A300, for a DM friend down in Cozumel. I was impressed with the features and think the Aeris model has a slight edge over the VEO. The A300 is an orphan since Oceanic consolidated thier Aeris line into thier mainstream Oceanic brand so they are being closed out for $199 on Amazon. It is a very nice 3 gas mix unit that comes with full warranty and support from Oceanic.
Even Oceanic will eventually stop supporting a computer model when parts are no longer available but my experience with there repair / product support in the past has been excellent.

hey boys and girls, this computer has a known manufacturing defect and they continued to sell it and to put in terms you can understand, it is a lemon if they don't have a fix for the problem, "they are selling a known defective product"........so don't give me this 7-10 yr discontinued BS......cuz it was defective the day i bought it but the problem did not arise until now. don't they know what a recall is?

And what did they say when you told them all that?

Just got back from cozumel where my Tusa IQ 700 computer managed to lock itself into thinking it was at 19000ft altitude instead of -45 ft. A new bat and hitting reset did not cure this problem soooo, upon returning home i called Tusa for help and was told it could not be fixed and was made in japan and no longer being supported. they could not/would not even give me a better price on a replacement. Apparently they don't want my business any more.
Does anyone know of a fix to this problem or do i now have a multi $100 paperweight? Does anyone have any recommendations for a good mid cost/function computer that is dependable and is supported by the manufacturer?

If you'd like, send me a PM with details and I'll contact Tusa direct and see if I can't get more joy. I live in Japan so can go to HQ, it might make a difference. Anyway, happy to help if I can, just let me know.

they were very polite but they no longer support that computer and only sell through dealers so they can't wholesale or discount me a replacement like Aries would have. they are in the business of selling products not supporting them. notice that most computer brands come out with a new model every couple of yrs and stop supporting the old ones which only have only a 2 yr warranty anyway. this is all planned marketing to get customers to continue to buy in some cases anyway marginal products that have very little difference between them.

if you already got years of use (since it sounds like it is out of warranty), can't really say it is a manufacturing defect. giving you a discount on a new computer is a courtesy, not really something you should expect. you wouldn't bring in a broken tv outside of the warranty to best buy and expect a discount on a new 4k led, so why is dive gear any different?

Deleted. Having a bad day, and sometimes you engage your keyboard without thinking.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom