No strobes, DSLR 30mm 1.4, a good beginner lens choice ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's a budget thing, then I would go with the Ike housing and get a strobe. It will make a massive improvement to the photos, especially once you drop to depth. The typical COZ dive at 60-100' will not have much color without a strobe, and you can only fix so much in post.

ronscuba,

Agree with Larry C on size of creatures suitable for your fast Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens.

Remember though (I'm assuming you're shooting an APS-C sensor Canon body) 30mm X 1.6X sensor crop = 48mm film lens equivalent FOV (field of view)

Then 48mm X 1.3X if using a FLAT port (no diopter needed as previously mentioned) = 62.4mm approximate equivalent FOV. Not very wide...........But for fish, maybe head and shoulders of a diver at max of 3' it could work.

With a dome port the 11-16mm might be a better choice if you haven't got ports to fit any lens choices yet.

YMMV,

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Thanks for the recommendations.

A strobe is definitely in my future. This will be my wife's 1st time shooting underwater. I think the 30mm and 60mm will be a good starting point and she will have more than enough to keep her occupied without positioning a strobe. I shoot video and have two 1500 lumen video lights. Maybe I can light the subject to help her with her close up shots ?

I just want to make sure I don't overload her with tasks. I shoot video, positioning the lights and arms is an extra task that can be a PITA for a new user. Am I being too cautious ? Guess I could always leave a single strobe positioned center above the lens. Shouldn't be too bad for closeups and macro shots.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom