No solo diving in overhead environment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your "average" full cave diver is probably better trained than your "average" open water scuba instructor- and light years ahead of most recreational divers. Every cave dive (and every technical dive for that matter) is really a "solo" dive... but sometimes you are diving solo ... together. In other words you are always self sufficiently diving even when you are diving with a buddy.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added February 5th, 2015 at 05:46 PM ----------

Your "average" full cave diver is probably better trained than your "average" open water scuba instructor- and light years ahead of most recreational divers. Every cave dive (and every technical dive for that matter) is really a "solo" dive... but sometimes you are diving solo ... together. In other words you are always self sufficiently diving even when you are diving with a buddy.[/QUOTE]

I think the operative word here is "average." I agree the average cave diver is probably better than most divers. But there are cave and tech divers that are poor divers. Certifications exist for a reason. They allow dive businesses to make somewhat objective decisions regarding who can dive where and how. There's no reason that a dive site operator should be expected to allow an AOW diver to dive solo. That said certification does not necessarily equate to competency. Having a card in your pocket cave, tech or otherwise doesn't make you a competent diver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides, you teach for a living, right?
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
Yes, there is a nominal charge for this course.

The amount of money I earn teaching scuba does not come close to covering my scuba expenses.

And prepared wrecks as well, I hope?
Of course.

I had no interest in going in the caves because I'm not certified to dive in an overhead environment yet, and don't want to do so without proper, quality training. I only wanted to spend more time in open water fine-tuning my buoyancy and trim because I haven't had the drysuit too long, and I have my cavern/intro class in a few months.

This is a problem with living in Central Florida, there is no local diving. You have a few state parks but they require a dive buddy also. The only place that is "open" would be beach diving off Vero but it is not really ideal for practicing skills.

---------- Post added February 5th, 2015 at 05:11 PM ----------

If a technical diver is not comfortable enough to to possibly do a dive solo, then they should maybe reconsider whether or not they should be technical diving in the first place. I am not saying that they should do solo technical dives,.. but should be prepared to be solo, if needed.

What exactly do they teach in an overhead course regarding buddy rescues? In open water you can always get an incapacitated or unconscious diver to the service relatively easy by either inflating the BC or dropping the weight belt. But in a cave, you are now a solo diver and your buddy is now a liability.

This is a problem with living in Central Florida, there is no local diving. You have a few state parks but they require a dive buddy also. The only place that is "open" would be beach diving off Vero but it is not really ideal for practicing skills.

---------- Post added February 5th, 2015 at 05:11 PM ----------

What exactly do they teach in an overhead course regarding buddy rescues? In open water you can always get an incapacitated or unconscious diver to the service relatively easy by either inflating the BC or dropping the weight belt. But in a cave, you are now a solo diver and your buddy is now a liability.

I was taught to do what I could for a buddy, but not to jeopardize my own safety. In the end, most technical divers are taught to be self suffiecent within a team. It is not to say, don't help,... but that each diver, in the end is responsible for their own safety & be comfortable enough to safely get themselves out of the dive, if seperation or an emergency should occur. I have heard technical diving referred to, " a solo dive in a social environment".

I was diving in a cave in Florida a little over a year ago when a man saved his buddy in a cave. We were just entering the cave when the man came out dragging his unconscious buddy while holding his donated regulator in the buddy's mouth. The man was successfully revived.

Rescuing your buddy in an OOA emergency is a major part of cave training.

Exactly, and Vero is 165 miles from my house. Guess I'll look into getting the solo card after I take my cavern class.

Exactly, and Vero is 165 miles from my house. Guess I'll look into getting the solo card after I take my cavern class.

When you said Central Florida I automatically think Orlando, but if you are north of O-town then Vero is farther. I am not sure if there is anything on the Gulf side. One potential site is Bayport Park at the end of 50 West. I seen people diving there years ago and it is currently listed with no lifeguards and swim at your own risk so I don't think anyone would care.

Your "average" full cave diver is probably better trained than your "average" open water scuba instructor- and light years ahead of most recreational divers. Every cave dive (and every technical dive for that matter) is really a "solo" dive... but sometimes you are diving solo ... together. In other words you are always self sufficiently diving even when you are diving with a buddy.

Ahead in what way? It really isn't a pissing contest. A well trained rec diver is as relevantly trained as a tech diver if they are in a rec setting. The world would be a happier place if people gave up on all the labeling and just sought the skills they need for the dives they enjoy and leave it at that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom