no one wants to dive with a newbie!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a newer diver I'm always self conscious about my air consumption. I'm a total hoover and I always feel bad about having to bring up another diver when he/she still has 1000 lbs. left. I love diving with experienced divers. I always learn stuff and see things I wouldn't have known to look for otherwise. My husband has fewer dives than I do but his air consumption is similar to mine so diving with him is good but I don't learn as much from the experience.

saiorse69:
I understand that for those divers who have been diving for years and are incredibly experienced, diving with a newbie (e.g. "babysitting") is a bore/chore. But how is a new excited diver like myself, supposed to learn how to become a better diver if everyone is looking for someone experienced? Will I have to continue paying for a personal dive master as my buddy through dive ops forever? What would the experienced out there suggest or recommend? Thanks!

Try joining a dive club if you can. I get to do more dives and I have learned a lot from the different people I've dove with.

Dive with a "newbie"? You bet, the grin is worth a whole lot more than a half full tank!

I have to agree with everyone else here. I still consider myself a newbie, we'll be happy to dive with you. I've found most experienced divers very open and willing to dive with newbies if they're honest about their skills, safe and basically don't do stupid stuff :D

I'll admit that I'd prefer not to dive with a newbe when I've traveled a great distance and paid a lot for a dive. I want to get the most out of that dive. BUT, when I'm at home, I have no problem diving with a newbe...even if it is just so he or she can practice a simple skill. I do, however, require that I talk to the newbe and get a sense of his or her capabilities because I don't want to get into a situation where he or she could get hurt.

I think joining a dive club is a great decision. I joined one in California and got to go on so many cool adventures that I never would have done on my own, and I am instructor so I dive almost every weekend - but these folks had so many good ideas and so much experience and they made diving really, really fun.

Find a dive club, sign up for stuff, and just do it!

I also invite my students to come dive anytime I am taking students out, so talk to your instructor and find out if they do that. You can get more dives logged, and you will get to be the more experienced diver they look up to. :)

Patti

I was buddied up with a less-than-1yr noob last week. Best buddy I've ever had. Perfect boyancy, followed the rules, good communication, polite, fit, always within reach, but never a collision. Probably the best diver I've ever been in the water with. Give'm a chance people.

-Ben M.

I would generally rather dive with newbies, or my regular dive buddies who also like to dive with newbies, because they haven't learned bad habits yet. They are generally a pleasure.

Chad

As you can see, most of us love to dive with new divers. You are more fun than those 1 zillion dive know it alls.

I haven't had any problem finding people who will dive with me. I think I make them laugh......because of my child like excitement when diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom