no one wants to dive with a newbie!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great post, Mike. You make a lot of great points. I think the OP is a diver that wants to take the opportunity to dive more before the big expensive trips. I started something similar to NW Grateful Diver here in Arizona a couple of months ago. We had a get-together at a local lake with about 10 divers showing up, both experienced and noobs and all seemed to have a great time. Since then, there's been a lot more activity in the AZ Scuba forum and the AZ lakes. And we have another big get-together scheduled for the end of this month. I agree, if I'm paying a lot for a dive/trip, I'm diving with my wife. But if all it's going to cost me is a tank of air at a local lake, I'm there. I think the problem is a lot of experienced divers don't want to dive the local lakes because they've been there done that and would prefer holding off for the exotic dives. Most of the divers I see at the lakes are "noobs", so maybe I'm still a noob myself since I'm still diving the lakes myself. :D

Hey Saiorse69, why don't you post your desire to get diving in the Ontario Fresh Water Freaks section in this site, it is under Regional Travel and Dive Cluds / Canada.
The people there could probably recommend some good dive clubs in the area and may even invite you for a dive. I understand the way you feel, I want to dive with my wife/buddy here but it is just too cold for her so if I want to go I would have to hook up with someone else which can be difficult. I am lucky in that I get along pretty well with a local dive instructor that I like and respect, so if I every get the urge I'm sure I could go with him. Good luck and I hope to see you in the water sometime soon. Do me one favor, however, don't take any crap from an "experienced diver" if it does not sound right or is beyond your comfort/training/experience zone, just so you get to dive with them. If you want a down line, get one. If you want to wear a snorkle, because you were trained that way, do it. If you don't want to do the 90 foot dive, don't. I have never met an truely experienced diver that would not help or accommodate a new diver.

Sean

I'm a pretty new diver (15 dives) and I've never had a problem with people not wanting to buddy up with for diving. Granted, all my certified diving has been local here in New England and my local shop organizes guided shore dives every weekend, so I do start to see the same faces over and over (which is nice).

I have yet to dive with someone who was rude pre/during/post dive to me because I was new. I always let whoever I might buddy with know that I'm still new and my SAC kinda sucks (.70) and let them decide.

One thing I do find is that when I dive with people who I know have a good number of dives (100+) I make double-sure I don't look stupid in front of them and I make sure I do everything by the book. My biggest fear is they might dive with me once, but next time I see them, they might want to pass on me (cuz I annoyed them or did something wrong). It's helped make me a more aware diver.

Everyone I've met diving has been cordial and friendly and as far as I can see, would only judge you on your diving ability (if you wander off w/o looking for buddies, etc). If I did run into anyone that rude to not consider someone else's feelings, I imagine myself and everyone else's memories would remember that for a long time.

Just don't be the know-it-all, do-it-all-wrong newbie and everyone will like diving with you!

There are many dive ops that have groups where beginners are very welcome. Cozumel is such a place. The Club Med at Turks is another. Yes, it is led by a divemaster so at least you don't have to worry about navigating and getting lost. Others in the group may be in the same experience level as you too so at least you won't feel left out. Just do some research and contact some dive ops at destinations you want to go to and find out if they have groups (at no extra charge). In Cozumel, Aqua Safari definitely has groups.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom