(No) Oil in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the take away From the OP is Don't go to the key's!?!? But doesn't the OP works in keys tourism industry? HMMM I don't get that one. That is like me telling people if they learn to scuba they will be eaten by a shark. Kind of counter productive if you ask me. I guess the keys are just TOO busy and could use a rest from all of the visitors they are having these days.

Just because I work and live here does not mean the truth should be hidden from everyone. I tell it like it is and have always done so. I will always keep everyone up on what is going on good or bad. I also have never said anything about if you come to dive here you will get eaten by a shark.:confused: Not sure where you got that one :shakehead: Maybe from someone else but not me.

I am also not saying you cannot dive here all I am saying is that the oil is here. even the coast guard has said they have never seen this many come in all at once.

Heck now BP has given Florida 25 Million for advertisements to say the beaches are great come down have fun !!!

Just because I work and live here does not mean the truth should be hidden from everyone. I tell it like it is and have always done so. I will always keep everyone up on what is going on good or bad. I also have never said anything about if you come to dive here you will get eaten by a shark.:confused: Not sure where you got that one :shakehead: Maybe from someone else but not me.

I am also not saying you cannot dive here all I am saying is that the oil is here. even the coast guard has said they have never seen this many come in all at once.

Heck now BP has given Florida 25 Million for advertisements to say the beaches are great some down have fun.

I don't think the oil that is being seen in the keys is from the spill--YET. Tankers frequently dump bilges. In recent years the coast guard has been good about tracking them down if they come into a US port and it has become less frequent but it still goes on. The tar balls and slicks used to be pretty common on US beaches.

It's amazing, BP has enough money to pass out 25 million like lollipops to keep the kids happy.

Aside from major ecological disasters, how's it going B?

So Becky, can you back up any of your statements in this thread or are all of your statements based on things you've heard through the grapevine? You're coming off as more than a little hysterical and none of your statements have been backed with fact yet. The fact you are sending people pictures of the "BP slick" leads me to believe you don't want to hear facts, just perpetuate unfounded drama.

Last edited:
Although the oil spill is obviously a bad thing, I suspect its effects on the FL Keys will not be castastrophic. Here is part of an interview last night with the head of NOAA:

Quote:

"Jane Lubchenco, administrator of NOAA, the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration, said last night on PBS’s NewsHour:

JANE LUBCHENCO: There’s a very small stream of oil that is a very light sheen that is getting close to the loop current. And it’s likely that, at some point, it will be entrained by the loop current. But that current, if there is oil entrained in it, it would be probably nine to 12 days before that would reach the Florida Strait.And, during that time, it gets highly diluted, parts per billion, and it weathers naturally. And, so, any oil that would be reaching Florida Strait might be in the form of tar balls, for example. And whether it ever comes ashore or not would be a function of whether there were good onshore winds bringing it. So…

GWEN IFILL: You say tar balls, you mean tar balls or tar balls?

JANE LUBCHENCO: Probably little, very little tar balls. And the…

GWEN IFILL: So, you are saying it is highly unlikely that the loop current could bring substantial damage to faraway beaches or shorelines?

JANE LUBCHENCO: That’s correct.

GWEN IFILL: How about to faraway animals and — and underwater life?

JANE LUBCHENCO: By the time the oil is in the loop current, it’s likely to be very, very diluted. And, so, it’s not likely to have a very significant impact. It sounds scarier than it is."
End quote

I hope she is right. Any detrimental effects on the Keys will probably be subtle, and not gobs of black crude everywhere. The place that is really going to be affected is Louisiana and its wetlands.

But then again, you haven't seen it. :shakehead:

Neither have most of us witnessed the Horizon blowout first-hand but we accept the news reports nevertheless. I doubt I would have posted the information if my job was dependant on toursim but let's not pile on our own too much. Just a suggestion...

Last edited:
I guess I should have kept it simple. The point of my statement was
A. THE BP oil is not in the keys YET
B. I am smart enough NOT to incorrectly Babel about things that negatively effect my business.

I guess your chicken little routine has a purpose I am not sue what it is but like I said the only take away I got was DON'T GO TO THE KEYS!!!

I don't know if you are aware of this but your negative and incorrect posting could be costing people BIG $$$$!!! You telling people not to go to the Keys because "The oil is already there" effects everyone from Dive Shops and hotels to Restaurants and Gas Stations. Maybe before we post next time you should "Think before you click"

PS NO you will not get eaten by sharks if you go diving!!! Well you may but it is not likely.
PSS Sorry if this sounds harsh but the first attempt at nice didn't get through too well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom