(No) Oil in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is horrible...why do I see more Haiti coverage (still) in the news than coverage on this epic environmental disaster? :idk:

-J.-

Let's define epic.......

150,000 to 200,000 dead and between 1.5 to 2 million left homeless.

versus

11 dead on the rig and a potential threat to the Western Atlantic fisheries.

Hope my trip inJuly is not effected. However, I hope that everyone learns from this incident. We are the most powerful country in the world. Oil is needed every second of every day. Saftey measures need to be on par with us being the most powerful country in the world. If we can build products that go into outerspace and stay under the ocean for months at a time I am sure that we can have safer measures to contain this. With that being said, this is a dangerous world and horrible things happen everyday. With that being said, mother nautre is very tollerant of mans mistakes and hopefully bounce back.

Comprehend this: they flew samples to lab in CT to see if they originated from the leak in the Gulf and the testing showed they are from a different source.

The mile long "pink" oil slick referenced on Spearboard is more likely red diesel fuel, not Gulf crude oil.

I have been going to the beaches in Dade, Broward, and points north since the 60's and tarballs have ALWAYS been there. As ONESPEED stated, anyone from here knows to keep some turpentine and rags handy because it's a fact of (beach) life.....

Oh I get what your TRYING to say but I and a lot of the other people reporting it live here. We don't see random tar balls and oil slicks in our waters everyday. If we did that would be one thing but really come on. :shakehead: So what are you saying we have pink crap floating in our waters and black balls as well everyday... Tell me Brian when is the last time you dove in a pink oil sleek here in the Keys....

Oh I get what your TRYING to say but I and a lot of the other people reporting it live here. We don't see random tar balls and oil slicks in our waters everyday. If we did that would be one thing but really come on. :shakehead: So what are you saying we have pink crap floating in our waters and black balls as well everyday... Tell me Brian when is the last time you dove in a pink oil sleek here in the Keys....

Ummm, what exactly would a pink slick have to do with the oil spill in the gulf? NEWSFLASH: Oil is not pink.

As of right now no one has reported anything in the Upper Keys just in the Lower and Middle Keys. I will post if something further is reported.

Ummm, what exactly would a pink slick have to do with the oil spill in the gulf? NEWSFLASH: Oil is not pink.

That is what the color looks like when the sun hits it ok maybe more like peach . You may see it as blue,green,brown, purple or even black.. I see it as I see it...

And I am not saying it is everywhere and you cant still dive for now all I am saying is that it has gotten here. Now how bad it gets is another thing. We are all hoping for the best. For the Media What you have never been lied to before... The Keys is a tourist place and they don't want the news to get out it could destroy the way most of us make our living. But lets get real do people want the truth or do they want to be lied to and come down here and dive in an oil sleek? I think not.. We are all hoping for the best here...

Ugly stuff in the gulf

Attachments

• oil1.jpg
    oil1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 108
That is what the color looks like when the sun hits it ok maybe more like peach . You may see it as blue,green,brown, purple or even black.. I see it as I see it...

Well Becky, no matter how much you want to prove everything in the water is the result of this oil spill, right now we know better. I've been boating a long time and seen all kinds of funky slicks on the water, it happens, people empty waste tanks on boats, spill oil or fuel, etc. All you're doing now is adding to the hysteria that's going to have people canceling keys trips by claiming every foreign object in the water is from the BP spill.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom