No notification for deleted posts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'll have a look at it.

Edit: Normally, the author of a deleted post get a PM stating what happened and why.
This was skipped in this case due to the amount of deleted posts.

I noticed a public notice the following day, but what was really so bad about the posts? I read through all of it before it was deleted, and it didn't seem that bad. Maybe a tad bit of name calling by a few users RE: another; but it seemed to have evolved back on track.

It's not so uncommon for posts to be deleted w/o notice, and sometimes I think, without reason. I've recently noticed some of my posts have been deleted when they were relevant to the OPers topic. Oh well.

Our mods are volunteers: they have to WORK at their real jobs. When multiple threads are deleted it is most appropriate to make a public post to cover them all. While you may think that nothing in particular is "over the top", you should realize that we are looking at trends as well as specifics. If a thread is escalating towards a pissing contest, then the smart moderator will take action to close the barn doors BEFORE all the horses bolt. Why bother to ascend when you still have 500 psi in your tank? You aren't violating your breathing TOS until you suck it dry, right? Discretion is the better part of valor.

Also, if your post/thread is GONE or CENSORED, wait an hour or two, or even overnight to see if there is a forth coming explanation. Something may have come up, like a nature call or even exhaustion. Patience is a virtue we ALL can use!

Pete - I certainly understand the difficult job the Moderators have. As you know, I am friends with several...

It seemed to me that only 3 users posts were deleted. I was just surprised to see mine deleted w/o a PM. I'm usually pretty careful about what I say (these days), and have respect for the TOS.

For the record... I waited quite a while to whine about the deleted posts.

I suppose I am a supporter of the open communications policy. If action is taken, it is nice to hear who has had action taken against them (and maybe even why); even if it's a bulk PM to all of the users involved in deleted posts, that's better than no PM at all IMO. :D

I think that in this particular case, there was some excrement being thrown around, however, it was somewhat pertinent to the discussion, and to the validity of the posts made by a certain user as fact versus opinion.

personally, i think expecting the Mods to send a PM to each and every poster whose post they delete is a bit too much...

maybe put up a post "threads deleted for xyz reasons" and if your post was one of them and you have questions, you can PM them about it.

this notice would also have an educational effect on other members, who can see the type of thing that will get posts deleted ...

just trying to keep it reasonable (work load wise) for Mods

H2Andy:
personally, i think expecting the Mods to send a PM to each and every poster whose post they delete is a bit too much...
I would bet that some very high percentage of the delete's are self evident.

You might not agree with the delete, but usually the thought process behind the delete is obvious (in 99% of the cases).

Maybe there is a patch to install, where when you click the box to delete a post, that it pops up "reason" and it automatically PM's the deletee??

Even though it's not a personal response; at least it would be something.

howarde:
Maybe there is a patch to install, where when you click the box to delete a post, that it pops up "reason" and it automatically PM's the deletee??

Even though it's not a personal response; at least it would be something.
Drop down list

a) Post was mean
b) Post was too sexy for SB
c) Post was too funny for the DIR forum

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom