no need to remove SWIFT transmitter battery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, the OP was asking about the transmitter. Do you remove your transmitter batteries, if you have any, when not in use? I don’t nor do I know of anyone else who does. Those aren’t as easy to remove and aren’t designed for regular remove & replace.

Yes I agree Li-Ion batteries are much much safer (knock on wood I have never had an issue with them) that's why I only use Li-Ion in all my computers and transmitters.

Yes if my transmitters are going to sit for a while I removed the batteries, perfect example for why is the above picture. But I have the older style transmitters that take about 10 second to remove with a coin. Personally I think spending 10 seconds to remove a couple batteries is cheap insurance. Especially if your like me and most of the your Petrels are hardwired in to rebreather heads, this can get very costly to replace if they leak. Trust me I have seen it 4 times now on friends rebreathers and countless avy beacons, headlamps, etc. ruined from leaking batteries. Amazon/Duracells seem to be the worst of them all.

As far as I know there is nothing really wrong with regular removal and replacement of batteries, I have been doing it for years and no issues. Just ensure the O-rings are good and have a thin thin coating of silicone. I just buy a 100 pack life time supply from oringstore.com for a whopping $3 and replace them every 3-4 times I open the cap both transmitters and computers. Once again cheap insurance.

Yes I agree Li-Ion batteries are much much safer (knock on wood I have never had an issue with them) that's why I only use Li-Ion in all my computers and transmitters.

Yes if my transmitters are going to sit for a while I removed the batteries, perfect example for why is the above picture. But I have the older style transmitters that take about 10 second to remove with a coin. Personally I think spending 10 seconds to remove a couple batteries is cheap insurance. Especially if your like me and most of the your Petrels are hardwired in to rebreather heads, this can get very costly to replace if they leak. Trust me I have seen it 4 times now on friends rebreathers and countless avy beacons, headlamps, etc. ruined from leaking batteries. Amazon/Duracells seem to be the worst of them all.

As far as I know there is nothing really wrong with regular removal and replacement of batteries, I have been doing it for years and no issues. Just ensure the O-rings are good and have a thin thin coating of silicone. I just buy a 100 pack life time supply from oringstore.com for a whopping $3 and replace them every 3-4 times I open the cap both transmitters and computers. Once again cheap insurance.

Interesting. Thanks!

I dive mine every 2-4 weeks. So far I’ve had no issues. If I find mine are going to sit longer I may remove the batteries. Although doing that with the swift is a bit more involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom