No Morning Dive After Flight the Day Before with ProDive Mexico?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are referring to Mitch he does not come across as a problem. However, if it has not been resolved already just go with another dive op. I hear that there must be at least a dozen or more dive ops on Cozumel.

Any diver may have a try a few to find one that they prefer, but there is likely a good dive op for most people.

Oh. OK.

I took a group of ten divers to Cozumel a couple of years ago and dived with Prodive. I researched here, contacted some other outfits which are more popular on Scubaboard but decided to go with them. The reasons were cost (spending other people's money) and being in the south already so keeping the boat trips short. Nitrox being included was also a big win. Being British divers we knew we'd already be on edge with the DMs etc messing with our gear so why pay extra to have wet suites washed and gear completely messed with.

As it turned out it was all very good, the guides were excellent and properly enthusiastic about the wild life. They could learn about how to dive a wreck in current though :)

We got a boat to ourselves and got to chose the sites according to our group opinion of what was sensible. We got advice about the difficulty of sites (we had a couple of more typical vacation divers with us and of course we were diving that poor excuse for a cylinder known as an Ali80) so we could make informed choices.

Prodive were better than average about upfront email and communications. I was confident enough to send them more than €10k for diving and accommodation ahead of time,

Couples and smaller groups we saw as walk up trade while we were there also seemed to be well treated.

The only thing I'd want over and above what Prodive could give us would have been bigger cylinders.

I have nothing to add to this thread with respect to dive op, but I have a more general comment.

As a dive guide in Indoensia, before I guide a new customer at challenging site, I would start with a check out dive. In particular, if the diver had less than 50 dives, regardless of certification level (e.g., DM), it DMs to me prudent to check the skill level of a new customer. If appropriate, I would certainly make exceptions. I have guided instructors with 1000+ dives that are superb divers, but have never experienced strong currents and down currents. In such conditions, I like to get an idea in the skill level, SAC rate, and safety of my group. It seems to me that everyone appreciate a safe and enjoyable experience.

I have doubts he ever intended to deal with the shop. It sounds like he initiated the chat with an agenda to pick a fight over their policies and then publish it on the internet. With so many good shops available, if I didn't like the policies of one I would simply try another shop and not waste my time arguing.

Assuming he didn't "embellish" the part about the size of his group like he did with his dive qualifications.

Sometimes the smart thing to do for a business is to forgo the money and avoid problem customers...

I can't disprove your third quote as it is impossible to do so, but I'll drop this for you right here.

Screenshot_2016-08-16-04-47-43.png

When I was younger, I was told by an older and wiser colleague, "Pick your battles. You can't fight every one of 'em."

For me, I'd just clear my mask as per the dive op's policies. First, it's not like I can't clear my mask. Second, what will I accomplish by refusing? Nothing, other than give the impression that I'm difficult for no good reason, and wasted time and effort trying to argue the situation.

I just think there are many more pressing and serious battles that people have to deal with. Having to clear my mask on a check-out dive is really no big deal and not worth the fuss, IMHO.:wink:

I hear what you're saying and even agree for the most part. And yes I certainly can clear my mask and on some dives for whatever reason, I get to clear it numerous times. :wink:

I didn't mean I'd rage against the machine. I'd just move down one dive op.

I took a group of ten divers to Cozumel a couple of years ago and dived with Prodive. . . .

Did your group do the regularly scheduled morning dive on the morning after your arrival?

8 of us just went on cenote divings in Quintana Roo (south of Cancun) with 2 DMs (Rafael & Antonio) from ProDive a couple days ago. I must say they are great DMs, very safety conscience.

On the first dive they checked everyone of us on the weight & buoyancy. In the sea I use 12lb weight with my 11-yrs old 3mm wetsuit (which is probably it's down to 1mm by now). For these cenote divings (fresh water), I used a new 5mm wetsuit. Rafael said, you probably would need 7lb weight. He then watched me slowly going down as I purge all the air out of my BCD & exhaling my breath. His estimated weight was right on the money. I slowly sunk.

The divings are great too. I'd go back to dive with them next time for sure.

Last edited:
Did your group do the regularly scheduled morning dive on the morning after your arrival?
I think we did, but we had done a whale shark thing the day after we had landed so we're well and truly arrived. Being a big group we had a whole boat, some with more dives than a lot of dives and lots of instructors etc. But we didn't come over all know it all, we were diving in different conditions, different exposure protection and the odd person with relatively little experience, so we took the ops advice and started gently. We were there for six days diving before going to the Cenotes so there was no loss taking it easy at the start.

Dive ops have to deal with all sorts of people with all sorts of skills. Many will be older, successful people who are used to getting their own way but only dive infrequently. Some young DM has their work cut out being diplomatic with such a person. On day one YOU could be that person and you need to expect to be treated as such. It is not personal, they just have to work out who you are on the spectrum of idiot to OK.

We used Prodive for the Cenotes too and they were excellent. At the allegro on the mainland not so good, we dived with them twice and didn't really gel. The sites, boat etc not half as good as Cozumel.

I scripted an email top Pro Dive asking all the pertinent information I wanted from them...within a day, I received an answer to all my questions....I do want to point out though that all my questions were honest....like I relayed we have 2 divers with over 500 dives, 3 with about 100 and two VIGINS!

When selecting an dive operation, there is NO reason to embellish your credentials...you can do that to your friends:)

I am torn between three operators, but I believe this thread has swayed me towards ProDive on this trip for the bulk of the dives. I'll dive once each with the other two as well.

I scripted an email top Pro Dive asking all the pertinent information I wanted from them...within a day, I received an answer to all my questions....I do want to point out though that all my questions were honest....like I relayed we have 2 divers with over 500 dives, 3 with about 100 and two VIGINS!

When selecting an dive operation, there is NO reason to embellish your credentials...you can do that to your friends:)

I am torn between three operators, but I believe this thread has swayed me towards ProDive on this trip for the bulk of the dives. I'll dive once each with the other two as well.

I was wondering if you'd find this thread. Have a good time in Cozumel!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom