No more Night diving at BH!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No problem guys! I was not only impressed that Richard answered my email promptly, but went the extra mile to give me his home and cell numbers in the event that we ran into problems on the weekends. If you guys want, I'll print copies of the email off to put into your log books in case you run into issues of getting locked out. :)

I would Love to have his numbers!! Just in case. :D

I just talked to a couple instructors at my LDS. They were down there last weekend, and were locked in. The police pointed out the sign to them, and one of the instructors pointed out the bubbles and lights from the hole, indicating that there were still divers down. The police told them to lock up after they were done. But, when they went to leave, the gate was locked. Supposedly, calls to the police lead to no one knowing where the keys were, so they had to drive over the curbs to get out. It sounds like some of the city are discouraging out of state users.

I heard some talk of a "new" place coming along, that will be heated (indoors?) year round that many of the Colo dive shops are looking into. I also hear that Stella is leaving and the parking lot will be closed starting in Jan. Not sure if this is a temporary closure, or construction, or out of concern that when the "floor" of the hole goes, it will take the parking lot. Lots of speculation. Much of this may be rumors, so please don't blame me. But being locked in last weekend is true. I guess maybe bolt cutters will become part of my dive kit? (not to break in, but to get out - imagine the liability if something happened and EMS couldn't respond)!

I just talked to a couple instructors at my LDS. They were down there last weekend, and were locked in. The police pointed out the sign to them, and one of the instructors pointed out the bubbles and lights from the hole, indicating that there were still divers down. The police told them to lock up after they were done. But, when they went to leave, the gate was locked. Supposedly, calls to the police lead to no one knowing where the keys were, so they had to drive over the curbs to get out. It sounds like some of the city are discouraging out of state users.

Thanks for the info, sounds like this has happened more than once, someone should forward this to Richard Delgado. In a small town like that you wouldn't think it would be too hard to let the police force know that night diving is ok...

Sounds like there is a disconnect between the police, and the city officials.

I doubt they are discouraging out of state divers. More likely they have experienced issues with the locals, and don't want them there at night.

If we dive next weekend let's make sure that we have the phone numbers for Richard.

I also find his email address, and cut some of the info out of this thread and send him an email to attempt to get some further clarification.

We have had similar problems in Idaho at a local swimming hole. Its not deep enough to dive, but ppl from out of town started coming down and leaving their garbage everywere, fights, minors exploring their Sexuality.. stuff like that to were the law enforcment started kicking out anyone they didnt know. Not a county or city ordinance, but the local officers took it under their wing, because they were sick of the activity.

We have had similar problems in Idaho ...ppl from out of town started coming down and leaving their garbage everywere, fights, minors exploring their Sexuality.. stuff like that to were the law enforcment started kicking out anyone they didnt know.

This problem is somewhat the opposite. The cops and officials encourage the divers, but they have issues with the locals.

I've witnessed what I assume are drug deals, drinking, leaving trash all over, and other poor behavior at the BH. One weekend a softball team showed up after a game (not sure if they were local), and when the left their picnic area was trashed. Beer Cans, empty chip bags, etc., all over the place, and with trash cans right next to the picnic tables! Very Sad.

Santa Rosa is economically depressed, or at least part of it certainly is. There is not a lot to do, and they have had issues with Vandalism at the hole as well (again, locals).

I was also told of slashed BCDs, and "locals" (non-divers anyway) throwing rocks in at divers, and attempting to sink or remove the floats that support the platform, and attempting to break into cars/trailers. I'll admit that during this conversation many of the instructors/DMs chirped up, and related experiences that probably happened any time in the past, and probably only once, but put together, it sounds pretty bad. So, as I said before, please take this with a grain of salt. My main purpose was to post that the police (or other local authority) locked divers IN such that they had to pile into 4X4s and leave the cars, to get out after the dive. That is far worse IMHO, than being locked OUT. And, according to them, the police didn't have keys to open it back up when the dive was over.

I was also told of slashed BCDs, and "locals" (non-divers anyway) throwing rocks in at divers, and attempting to sink or remove the floats that support the platform, and attempting to break into cars/trailers.

I've never heard of the locals interfering with the divers there in any way. Trying to break into cars would seem very possible, but during night dives where we have been there alone, we often leave chairs, and even some dive gear out, and have never had issues. My experience at BH is very different from this. Yes, the locals may trash up the place, but even at night I have NEVER had issues with any of them. They tend to leave us alone, and I think mainly because they have been told that messing with divers is off limits by local authorities. It's a very small town, and you can bet the police know who the trouble makers are by name.

My main purpose was to post that the police (or other local authority) locked divers IN such that they had to pile into 4X4s and leave the cars, to get out after the dive. That is far worse IMHO, than being locked OUT. And, according to them, the police didn't have keys to open it back up when the dive was over.

Where did they exit? I can't think of anywhere that even a 4x4 could get out at least from the main parking area? Stella leaving? Her tenure is certainly not a sure thing, but to date this is the first I've heard of that. I spoke to her in Oct, and Kevin spoke to her in Nov?? The parking lot closed as of January? I just got my renewal, and the response from city officials would contradict that statement. Richard indicates that new projects will start in January (nothing new here other than an exact timeframe), but it will NOT impact access. Who exactly gave you this information, and where did they hear all this?

How reliable is your LDS? Sounds like they are making up stories. What New warm water dive spot? Could they share anything beyond that statement? IMO it sounds like your LDS is full of beans. There is an old saying, Never let the truth get in the way of a good story! :popcorn:

Regardless, we will make sure that this does not happen to us. Anyone have one of those huge bolt cutters that are used to cut chain? :rofl3:

Ron,
There is one they are trying to open down south of the springs and I think there is another up towards WYO. I have heard of these as well, but have not heard when they will be approved for divers. Any time I ask my LDS about them they tell of different problems the owners of the property are having. This is all second hand info and I will belive it when I see it open to us. Have heard these rumors for over a year now and still no new training area. just my .02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom