No Fly List.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jetwrench

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There is now a No Fly list in place that flags certain people during airline checkin depending on their name. Anyone on this list must be cleared by additional ID checks such as drivers license or passport or birth certificate, and in some cases(I have been told) a phone call must be made before a boarding pass can be issued. It appears that the name list, generic or otherwise, is driven by someone with the same name that the security agencies feel may be a threat or a security risk.
Here's the funny part. Being an airline employee with an airmens certificate from the FAA and having been screened and fingerprinted by the FBI after 9/11 occured, one would not think I would be on that list, but I am. It has already become a problem, as it has slowed the checkin proccess for me on domestic travel and I fear even more trouble if I fly out of the country(coming up next month).
I'm now in the proccess of trying to resolve this, but I thought everyone might want to know that this list exists and the fact that you may find yourself on it is a possibility. What travel problems it might cause, either domestic or international, remains to be seen. My experience with it so far is not a good sign.

Jet

Uncle Pug:
But do you feel safer?

Not with Ted Kennedy off the list! :eyebrow:

Jetwrench,

One of our pilots whose family is of Middle Eastern extraction actually had to have company management change the way his name was listed in company records and on his ID card to stop that very thing from happening!

Pug,

No one is safe when bureaucrats get involved in anything!

Caymainiac,

Listening to Ted Kennedy, you have to wonder how much he gets paid to be Osama bin Laden's Public Information Officer. (Sadly, Mary Jo Kopechne never gets to say anything at all.)

Ain't life grand sometimes?

Cheers!

Rob Davie

BigJetDriver69:
Caymainiac,
Listening to Ted Kennedy, you have to wonder how much he gets paid to be Osama bin Laden's Public Information Officer. (Sadly, Mary Jo Kopechne never gets to say anything at all.)
Rob Davie

How in the heck does that guy get re-elected (something that sounds like tampering with voting machines?) and since when is there limits on when a murder was commited?
It just goes to show money will buy your way through the justice system, another O.J. example.

Dive Safe,
caymaniac

I feel a lot safer now that we've banned nail scissors and have a no fly list.

From the Wash Post

For more than a year and a half, Rep. John Lewis has endured lengthy delays at the ticket counter, intense questioning by airline employees and suspicious glances by fellow passengers.

Airport security guards have combed through his luggage as he stood in front of his constituents at the Atlanta airport. An airline employee has paged him on board a flight for further questioning, he said. On at least 35 occasions, the Georgia Democrat said, he was treated like a criminal because his name, like that of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.), appeared on a government terrorist watch list.

While Kennedy managed to get security officials to end his airlines hassles after three weeks of trying, Lewis had no luck for months. Then he found his own way around the security mess.

Lewis added his middle initial to his name when making his airline reservations. The computer system apparently didn’t flag tickets for “Rep. John R. Lewis,” and the hassles suddenly ended.

“The ‘R’ is the only thing that has been saving me,” Lewis said from Atlanta yesterday.

Uncle Pug:
But do you feel safer?

No, I don't. What this tells me is TSA and the other security agencies are not sure of who they are specificly looking for and are using a blanketing name list in hopes of finding them by luck or chance. On the contrary, I wonder if they are over-expanding their resources to a point where the few who need watching will be lost in the masses. Sort of a 'can't see the trees through the forest'. Names on this list(mine included) are quite common so I can only imagine how large it is. Do they have the ability to properly screen everyone and use the proccess of illimination to narrow the list and gain some focus. Maybe, but it would not be very timely IMO.

Jet

My husband isn't on the "no-fly" list, but every time he flys for business and then we turn around fly somewhere together, he gets pulled for "special screening." I had to wait 30 minutes after I got thru screening in Las Vegas for him to get finished being patted down.

This can be a real pest , because he gets a lot of request for speaking and customer visits close to our vacation times :-(

Back
Top Bottom