No diving at Paya Bay (mini trip report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not complaining to me... He's giving a report, detailing the things he didn't like about it and his opinion of the place. He takes the time to explain what he didn't like. Complaining, at least to me, would be more empty, unexplained crtiticism of the operation, which is not the case here. The difference between the two is subtle, but it's there... Hopefully the post will be usefull to other divers on the board!:coffee:

So CODMAN,
I guess no one ever really complains about the weather as long as they mention, in their opinion, what they don't like about rain, snow, heat,etc..

IMG_4302-1.jpg

.................Wilson!

I understand what you mean RTB...:coffee: And as I said, 1- the difference is subtle, and 2- I was referring that "to me" it,s not complaining. But that could be argued plenty (which I don't want to start :cool2:). I mean any description or feedback, that is not favorable, could be described as complaining... Restaurant critics could be described as ciomplainers... Heck, most of Scubaboard is about complaining!!! :popcorn:

For me, and this is just my point of view, when negatives are brought up in a polite, usefull manner, it kind of crosses a line where it's not complaining... But that's personnal and to each to make their own oppinion on that...

Cheers!:coffee:

So CODMAN,
I guess no one ever really complains about the weather as long as they mention, in their opinion, what they don't like about rain, snow, heat,etc..

Thanks CODMAN. I totally agree. Great observation.

Agreed CODMAN, the intent of the post seemed to be to prevent other divers making the same mistake, which is what the board is for isn't it?

I don't post too much as I find the threads often, too my frustration, via towards these lame arguments, I wonder if I'm not alone????

Agreed CODMAN, the intent of the post seemed to be to prevent other divers making the same mistake, which is what the board is for isn't it?

I don't post too much as I find the threads often, too my frustration, via towards these lame arguments, I wonder if I'm not alone????

I must disagree,
The intent was to complain and to get others to not do business
disappointed I didn't get to dive Morat Wall (or at all for 3 days).

Continuing the disappointment... the food was horrible. Like, worse than denny's. I ordered a burger and it came from a can on some stale bread. The morning "buffet" was completely inedible
If you do not see this as complaining then so be it but if it were me I would bring my issues to the management before I brought them here

:banghead: wilson!

LOL, so many opinions. And really you're all right. I came back from Roatan only to leave on a business trip so I'm just now getting settled at home and catching up on SB.

Was I complaining? Sure. Was the intent to inform others of my experience and spread knowledge/opinion about a little known place on the boards? Also correct. In rhetoric terms the intent of my post was as much expository as advocacy.

Off semantics and back on topic... I felt deceived since I had asked about diving before my trip and was assured it was a simple process only to be told they had no options for diving once I got there. I did already mention it to management and was met with a shrug and "there's great snorkeling here".

Here's a little more detail on my overall impression of paya bay:

Getting there Sure, it's probably the furthest resort from the airport, but it's not THAT far. Certainly don't let it be a deterrent. I was so wrapped up in looking at the island I hardly noticed the duration of the ride. If I had to guess maybe 45 min? Thomas met me at the airport and was very friendly and cordial. In fact, Thomas was the highlight of most things on the trip so thumbs up to him.

Area & rooms I had one of the cliff rooms, #4. It was on the end and had 1 window facing the ocean and one facing lil beach. In looking through I think this is the best room in the resort. The view is breathtaking, best I saw on the island including from "The view'. The "front" ground were nice. everything looks clean. small lizards everywhere (in a good way).

However, there are a lot of negatives too. Everything about the resort seemed unfinished. The big beach was dirty and a mess. I didn't see anyone on it except a few locals. If the cleaned it up it could be a great first impression. All the trails that wind through the resort were strange. They reminded me of the winchester mystery house. So many of them went to absolutely nowhere. The iguana habitat, and pretty much everything else on the official property map, is nonexistant. They said they're still working on it and the map is "planned"... Then why doesn't it say planned on the website or the paper map in the room? The implication surely is it's "as-is". Eventually it could be a really nice place, but it needs a LOT of work to get there.

The topless/nude area Since it's unique to Paya bay on Roatan and should be of interest... don't bother, it's a joke. The so-called "Zone 3" is on the backside of the property near a stillwater cove. It's swarming with mosquitos and sand flies. It's not raked or attended to like Lil beach either. There's really no "beach" in zone 3, just some hard dirt and a few plastic chairs. Needless to say we didn't partake.

Special weeks Part of the reason of choosing Paya bay was that it was "romance week" according to their website. Again, I wonder if the resort in the website is the same one I went to? None of the activities were mentioned. And despite the clear "no families during romance week" there were two families with small children (out of only 4 parties of guests). Another disappointment.

food Wow, where do I start? I've eaten better from the frozen food section at 7-11. It was bar none the worst food I've ever eaten. I've backpacked through costa rica, stayed in remote parts of Laos and eaten things I still don't know what they are... but this was worse. It was obvious nothing was fresh. But how do you screw up shrimp in a country famous for them? Or worse yet, the worst hamburger I've ever seen. It looked like regurgitated manwich.

staff thomas was great. He led the day trip out to pigeon cay and took us all on a short mangrove tour on the way back. Really great guy. I can't say anything for the rest of the staff. Lucy, who was great in email, was virtually invisible once at the resort.

diving
exactly... nothing.

Does it have a lot of potential? DEFINITELY. Will it reach that potentialy any time in the forseeable future? I doubt it. Would I go back? no way. Would I recommend it to others? Absolutely not.

Upside is I left Paya bay and went to West Bay which, outside of a nasty case of salmonella, I had a great time. That report coming soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom