No DAN Insurance coverage in Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well I'm off to Cuba in 4 days time for a week's diving and so I decided to check my documents. Anyway I have DAN and their Master plan.
So given current US policy I sent a mail to DAN and yes, they confirmed that my world-wide coverage does not cover Cuba!!

I should have used a European insurer. :06:

I guess that's because DAN is a US company and the US still has a trade embargo against Cuba. I wonder how long Castro will live.

As adder70 stated. If you were treated in Cuba for injuries and the hospital or whatever tried to collect on the treatment DAN would be breaking the law by giving payment. This would be considered trade. Its probably not that DAN does not want to cover you its that the fine can be pretty substantial for a company.

retnug:
As adder70 stated. If you were treated in Cuba for injuries and the hospital or whatever tried to collect on the treatment DAN would be breaking the law by giving payment. This would be considered trade. Its probably not that DAN does not want to cover you its that the fine can be pretty substantial for a company.

That's not strictly true. If they wanted to deal with the bureaucracy it is permitted.
Under the Cuban Assets Control Regulations Title 31 Part 515 of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, there is provision for medical emergency payments.

EMERGENCIES - In case of emergencies requiring financial transactions
such as emergency repair of vessels or medical treatment, travelers
are urged to contact OFAC at 202/622-2480 to discuss necessary
authorizations.

Specific licenses may be issued on a case-by-case basis authorizing
remittances:
• to individuals in Cuba to facilitate their non-immigrant travel to the
United States under circumstances where humanitarian need is
demonstrated, including illness or medical emergency.

So both emergency treatment in Cuba could be paid for as well as emergency removal to the US for continued treatment.

It's just too easy to say no.

I think you'll be alright. I have heard (fact check?) that Cuba has one of if not the best Healthcare Service Programs in the world. They do things right over there.

A great source of entertainment for me is saying to all my friends, "HAH! I can go to Cuba and you can't!!!" But I heard now they are letting certain travel groups travel to Cuba now, so that marrs a bit of the fun. Whatever.

At any rate, dive safe and with luck you won't need to use any of the top-rate healthcare services.

Back
Top Bottom