NJ Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm looking for a needle in a haystack. I usually make a day trip from Westchester Co., NY to the Jersy Shore once each summer. Have dived Allenhurst Jetty, Manasquan R. Railroad Br. & Shark River. Am looking for someplace new. I'm not interested in inlets where I have to dive at slack tide as I can't pick my day to go. Also, not interested in restricted places where only night dives are allowed in summer. I guess that leaves open ocean shore dives and backwater bay dives. I'm also a shell collector. 10-15' in a bay would be OK. Easy access/parking car close is important. If anyone knows of some hidden gem anywhere between Raritan Bay/Sandy Hook and down to even AC, appreciate info. Thanks in advance.

I think the easiest would be what you describe as back water bay dive - Scuba Diving - New Jersey & Long Island New York - dive Wreck Valley - Dive Sites - Shark River Shore / Beach Dive
A few weeks ago we had seahorses on L Street - I expect they may still be there... Lots of broken shells - horseshoe crabs, eels and flounder...

shark_river_bay_aerial.jpg

Between L and K Streets - Belmar NJ.
From this photo - enter the water from the beach - we do a short swim from the beach (parking lot to the right of the beach) to the pylons / pier coming from the left side of photo. Drop down at the pylons and work your way to the west (left).
BTW this is an old photo - where there shows construction dirt piles is a place to park trailers and close to the water (boat ramp) are spots for fishermen and divers...

Last edited:
This is where I dived (I called it Shark R. mistakenly). I dived there 2 years ago at high tide--fine. This past summer at low tide lots of messy green kelp to slug through. At low tide suggest usung the ramp to avoid this as long as no boats there (it was a weekday). Is there a different place called Shark River nearby?

This is where I dived (I called it Shark R. mistakenly). I dived there 2 years ago at high tide--fine. This past summer at low tide lots of messy green kelp to slug through. At low tide suggest usung the ramp to avoid this as long as no boats there (it was a weekday). Is there a different place called Shark River nearby?

Yes this is the "back bay" of Shark River - but much more benign then the inlet... which is dictated by the currents - aka high tide... If you have dove here - then you could try Long Island - Shinnecock Inlet but on the ocean - not in the inlet again lots of tropicals that come up in the Gulf Stream and much deeper...

I was diving in Barnegat Inlet last Monday, at the end of the north jetty where it curves inwards. A little demanding, and you need a boat, though my 16' skiff was adequate. I dive alone, but a friend handles the boat while I'm down.

The water was crystal clear, 76F, with lots of Gulf Stream tropicals, one of which, a Short Bigeye (P. alta) I collected for my aquarium. I saw a Blue Angel, lots of Tangs, large Spiny Puffers, Seahorses, Damsels, juvenile Groupers, Lookdowns, a small shark and dozens of Butterfly Fish. North East winds had pushed a lens of Gulf Stream water inshore. Visibility was about 20+ feet.

I don't recommend this inlet. It can be very difficult unless you know it intimately. Shark River Inlet is much more benign, and has most of the same tropicals if not the same scenery.

The thick slimy green weeds are an occasional phenomenon, and not there all the time. Colder currents bring them in and normal currents eventually take them out. There is a seasonal element involved. The same with jellyfish.

Try Point Pleasant's RR bridge. Like the inlets, diving is possible only for about an hour, consisting of an half hour on either end of peak high tide. Timing must be exact. otherwise, an easy dive, and more to see than L street, I think. Lots of debris from the old bridge which has been colonized by all manner of creatures.

Very easy to find, very easy to dive if you follow the rules. Beautiful mussel beds, bottom life galore and fishes ranging from Striped bass and Bluefish to Seahorses and tiny tropicals, schools of baitfishes, every type of crab imaginable and the occasional lobster.

Back
Top Bottom