Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pir8:
I've never heard of a class that only teaches the 2 additional tables. I think that could be dangerous since you are not guarenteedto always get 32 or 36%. I'm sure I would never teach it as such.
Now this is of course not recommended, but...
If you got <32%, wouldnt it be safe diving it as 32% and anything between 32% and 36% as 36%?
Theoretically speaking that is, Im not suggesting you should, but if you only where taught 32% and 36%.. kinda like "always round up" on the dive tables..

Tigerman:
If you got <32%, wouldnt it be safe diving it as 32% and anything between 32% and 36% as 36%?
Theoretically speaking that is, Im not suggesting you should, but if you only where taught 32% and 36%.. kinda like "always round up" on the dive tables..
What if its over 36%

pir8:
What if its over 36%
then youre up poopoo creek and cant dive?
What if youve planned a dive where you can use max 34% but you get 38%?
Time to change plan then as well I guess?

Tigerman:
not only not recommended, but dangerous.

If you dove 30% as 32%, 33% as 36%, you would be absorbing more nitrogen than the table was allowing for. If any rounding is done, you would round the percentage up for the purposes of any O2 limits, and down for the purpose of NDLs, those would be the conservative directions.

This is a good example of why someone shouldn't dive Nitrox without the training and understanding it, people make guesses and assumptions that seem obviously correct to them, but aren't. There isn't a lot to it, but what there is to know is very important, and possibly not obvious. (One of the common ones being that EAN is intended for deeper diving, when in fact it's the opposite.)

Got something about close to 37% before. The only worst thing that happen was nothing bceause I was careful.

Thats the point

Damselfish:
not only not recommended, but dangerous.

If you dove 30% as 32%, 33% as 36%, you would be absorbing more nitrogen than the table was allowing for. If any rounding is done, you would round the percentage up for the purposes of any O2 limits, and down for the purpose of NDLs, those would be the conservative directions.

This is a good example of why someone shouldn't dive Nitrox without the training and understanding it, people make guesses and assumptions that seem obviously correct to them, but aren't. There isn't a lot to it, but what there is to know is very important, and possibly not obvious. (One of the common ones being that EAN is intended for deeper diving, when in fact it's the opposite.)
Indeed I would go straight into deco diving if I did that.. Thats what you get for only thinking po2 and not thinking about the longer NDLs for nitrox. Guess I proved the point about the training there, without even attempting.. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom